We are airing part of the area’s history this week with this photo of the communal washing lines at the back of ‘The Buildings’ in Eastwood.
The Buildings were built between 1854 and 1860 by the local colliery for its employees.
There were 213 houses in total, bounded by Victoria Street, Scargill Street, Albert Street, Wellington Street and Princes Street.
One resident of The Buildings was Kenneth Poynter, who was born there in 1904. His father worked at the colliery as a ‘butty’ contractor.
The photo was taken from ‘A Century Remembered: Reminiscences of Everyday Life in Eastwood’.