1,200 people board new bus

Bus service a success
Bus service a success

COUNCILLORS in Selston have been told a bus service they fought hard to get installed has already become a ‘huge success’.

More than 1,200 passengers boarded the Premiere Number Two bus service in just one week – more than treble what the councillors expected.

Gail Turner, Sam Wilson and David Darby fought for the service – which goes through Eastwood, Brinsley and Selston and onto Hucknall tram stop and Hucknall train station – to broaden work and college opportunities for teenagers.

The bus service was launched at the beginning of July and the number of passengers was recorded last week.

And Cllr Wilson said they were ‘absolutely ecstatic’ at the public’s response so far.

Cllr Turner added: “It’s very encouraging.

“Premiere are very pleased by it so far. They said usually for it to get fully into the swing of things it can take up to a year, so it’s very promising.”

Councillors campaigned for the money to fund the new service after receiving complaints from people having transport difficulties.

“They also thought youngsters needed to get to the tram stop, train station and Sherwood Business Park to be able to access businesses, colleges and key areas such as Nottingham city centre.

The trio carried out a survey which confirmed people’s concerns and secured £330,000 from the European Regional Development Fund.

The buses run every hour Monday to Saturday from 6am to 9pm, and at peak times they will run every half hour.

Funding will last three years, at which time the service is expected to be self-financing.

The service – managed by Nottinghamshire County Council and run by Premier Travel –will be reviewed in the next few weeks to see if the route can be improved.