Developer in third bid for homes plan

Third attempt: Radleigh Homes have resubmitted plans for 20 new homes to be built on land east of Main Street, Awsworth (see above).
Third attempt: Radleigh Homes have resubmitted plans for 20 new homes to be built on land east of Main Street, Awsworth (see above).

A planning application for 20 new homes in Awsworth has been submitted by a developer for the third time despite two previous attempts.

The application from the Radleigh Group proposes to build a housing estate on land east of Main Street, but the new plans have been altered so that the new homes would be further away from the existing ones.

Their most recent plans were rejected by Broxtowe Borough Council on October 8 because ‘the proposed development would have a significant adverse impact on the amenity of existing residents’ due to the proximity of the new houses.

A spokesman from Radleigh Group Ltd said that although the new plans were not set in stone, they had been working with the local authority to fill all their requirements.

He added: “We are trying to produce a scheme that is economically viable but that is sympathetic to the existing residents.”

The proposed housing estate would comprise of 16 three-bedroom and four two-bedroom homes.

Awsworth parish councillor Lydia Ball said that although the land had been designated for housing in 2004, it had to be the right development for the current residents.

She added: “It has to be a development which doesn’t take the quality of their lives away. We don’t want the residents on Main Street to be sandwiched between a busy street and more housing at the back.”

The plans are currently undergoing consultation and can be viewed at www.broxtowe.gov.uk.