‘Essential’ residents voice views on cuts

editorial image

Nottinghamshire County Council has revealed the breakdown of how it spends its cash — as it urges local residents to have their say on a need to slash a staggering £154 million from its budget over the next three years.

Last week the Advertiser reported on the need for the swingeing cuts, which will hit frontline services in Eastwood and Kimberley hard.

The blame has been levelled at big cuts in cash from the Government.

Now chiefs at County Hall say it is essential that local residents told them which areas the money should be taken from.

Leader of the council, Labour’s CllrAlan Rhodes, said it was ‘more important than ever before’ that local people took part in the consultation.

“It will be an extremely difficult task, but our aim will be to minimise the impact on the services that people value the most as far as we possibly can and we need the people of Nottinghamshire to help us in this painful process,” said Cllr Rhodes.

“At the end of this process it is likely that the council will be a very different organisation. It is essential that people take part in The Budget Challenge, tell us where we should prioritise our remaining resources and where savings will have to be made.”

The Budget Challenge consultation runs until January 17 2014 in three stages. Stage two started this week and will ask people for views on the council’s strategic plan, which sets out the its priorities for the next four years.

Register your views at www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/budget or call customer services at the council on 0300 500 80 80.