DCSIMG

Advertiser readers asked to name pub

G & M Motors Eastwood

G & M Motors Eastwood

Advertiser readers are being asked to name a new Wetherspoon’s pub opening up in the town’s high street.

Bosses at JD Wetherspoon’s had planned to call the pub Gooseberry Hall – but the name was met with criticism from locals and the firm has now decided to leave it in hands of people living in the town.

Wetherspoon’s chief executive John Hutson said: “The company always looks to name its pubs after a link to the area – a historical place or figure for example.

“We chose The Gooseberry Hall as the name for the pub, but received some letters and emails from local people saying that they didn’t feel the name reflected the town.

“As a result we are now asking Advertiser readers to choose which they like best from a short list. We will then see which name receives the most votes.”

The choices are as follows:

Uplands House: In the early 1900s civil engineer Thomas Gillott lived on the site of the pub. His home was called Uplands House.

The Gooseberry Hall: A couple of doors down from Uplands House was the congregational church, where Iceland now is. The church was built on the site of a cottage, which had a big garden and was known as Gooseberry Hall.

The Lighthouse: Eastwood-born writer DH Lawrence and his family regularly attended the congregational church. Lawrence wrote that ‘the chapel was like home”, and in one story imagined waking up 1,000 years in the future in a circular space ‘where our congregational chapel stood, and in the centre of the circle rose a tower shaped tapering rather like a lighthouse’.

The Lady Chatterley: Lady Chatterley’s Lover is Lawrence’s best known and most controversial novel. He borrowed the name of George Chatterley, who lived at The Hollies and served as town Mayor in 1917.

The Headstocks: Lawrence’s father worked at Brinsley Colliery. Although the pit has long since closed, the land was landscaped as a picnic site and conservation area known as the headstocks. The area features the colliery’s two headstocks – used to wind the miners’ cages up and down the mine shafts.

The Throttleha’penny: Newthorpe Colliery in Chewton Street was known as Throttleha’penny Pit. At one time there were 10 pits within walking distance of the town.

The Honour of Peveral: Eastwood is recorded in the early to mid 14th century in the Domesday Book, when it was the part of the extensive lands granted to William Peverel – said to be the illegitimate son of William the Conqueror. Known as the Honour of Peverel, the estate later reverted to the crown and was eventually divided. The Peverel story formed the background to Sir Walter Scott’s historical novel Peveril of the Peak, published 1823. Building work has started on the new £1m pub, at the old G&M Motors site in Nottingham Road. It is due to open in June.

n Email your favourite name to news@eastwoodadvertiser.co.uk, or call in on 0115 944 6185 or 07803 505 727.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page