DCSIMG

MEMORY LANE: Orders delivered by horse and cart

editorial image

editorial image

This bread delivery van, pictured in Church Street, Eastwood, was used by the Langley Mill and Aldercar Co-operative Society back in 1922.

The society was founded in 1875.

Eddie Hickling remembers when he started working there in 1940, it had 20 grocery shops, nine butchers, seven drapery shops, three furniture, three boot and shoe, three fruit shops, three confectioners, three chemists, a hairdressers, barbers and a decorating department.

Weekly grocery orders were collected from homes.

The goods were assembled at stores and delivered, at no extra cost, by horse and cart.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news