Nigel Johnson is pictured standing outside a shop at Hilltop, Eastwood in 1950.
With the Man in Space and the Assemblies of God Church, the stretch of Nottingham Road opposite, between Castle Street and Chewton Street, looks quite different today.
Originally there were two pubs, the Coach and Horses and the General Havelock, a row of houses and the Mission Church.
In the 1920s one corner of Dovecote Road was completely occupied by the Co-op. The grocery store had a window on Nottingham Road and Dovecote Road. Upstairs was the Co-op bank.