Notts man burnt after e-cigarette battery overheated in pocket

Nottinghamshire County Council's Trading Standards team is warning people about faulty e-cigarette chargers after two incidents where they over heated and burned men.
Nottinghamshire County Council's Trading Standards team is warning people about faulty e-cigarette chargers after two incidents where they over heated and burned men.

A Mansfield man suffered with burns after a faulty e-cigarette battery overheated in his pocket.

The loose batteries, which are from a trader in Nottinghamshire, overheated in the man’s pocket, burning him and damaging his clothing as well.

Nottinghamshire County Council's Trading Standards team is warning people about faulty e-cigarette chargers after two incidents where they over heated and burned men.

Nottinghamshire County Council's Trading Standards team is warning people about faulty e-cigarette chargers after two incidents where they over heated and burned men.

This is one of two similar incidents in the region in the last two weeks, as a similar incident left a Chesterfield man in hospital.

Nottinghamshire County Council’s Trading Standards team is advising people not to keep batteries loose in a pocket with change and coins, as well as offering advice on purchasing batteries and chargers,

Councillor Glynn Gilfoyle, committee chairman for community safety at the county council, said: “There is no suggestion there was anything wrong with the e-cigarettes themselves, but on each occasion, loose batteries in the pocket used to power these items overheated, causing burns.

“We need to take these incidents as warnings to people to take care where they store batteries on their person for e-cigarettes and other products.”

The Mansfield man said that he had had the batteries for ten months - which the council says could suggest a ‘wear and tear’ element to this situation.

Aside from the potential of faulty batteries, other potential hazards which might lead to overheating could include people using different charging devices such as an i-pad charger.

For more information, visit the trading standards website.

If you have been targeted by a scam, you can report it to the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506.