Residents get safety tips

PEOPLE are being urged to check electrical sockets and appliances ahead of Electrical Fire Safety Week, next week.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service is delivering safety messages about smoke alarms, electric blankets and portable heaters.

It also looks to stress the importance of not overloading sockets, checking wiring and fitting residual current devices (RCDs) to appliances – a device which cuts off electricity when a cable is cut and prevents electric shocks.

Crew manager Dalton Powell said “In 2007 nearly two-thirds of accidental house fires were caused by electrical equipment, which is why we are keen to support this and raise awareness.”

For more information go to www.direct.gov.uk/firekills.