Scaffolder led cops on high-speed chase through Sutton

Mansfield Magistrates Court
Mansfield Magistrates Court

A Sutton scaffolder who fled from police and was chased through the town at high speed in his lorry has been remanded in custody.

Freddie Holliliey, 33, of Clegg Hill Drive, Huthwaite, admitted theft on June 28, and dangerous driving and failing to stop for a police officer on August 14.

George Speed, prosecuting, told magistrates in Mansfield that Holliley was due before the court on August 31 to be sentenced for three counts of criminal damage.

He said police were called to Holliley’s address on Sunday, August 14, at 4.55am, to investigate a report of domestic violence. Holliley drove past them in his Mercedes lorry and the police gave chase.

“The lorry entered Westbourne Road on the wrong side of the road,” said Mr Speed.

“The police officer said he saw the lorry continue to travel on the wrong side of the road which was extremely dangerous.

He said the police car was travelling at 50mph in a 30mph zone and the lorry was going much faster ‘300 yards in front and bouncing around.’

The officer said: “The lorry was being pushed to its limits. I feared it would lose control or flip over at any point.”

The police lost sight of Holliley’s lorry on Brookfield Avenue. No further action was taken about the domestic incident.

The court heard CCTV showed Holliley removing scaffolding from an address on Huthwaite Road.

“In interview he said he didn’t keep any records of where he puts his scaffolding up,” said Mr Speed.

“On this occasion he put some up in Huthwaite. He was asked to take it down.

“He saw the scaffolding and took it by mistake. Of course the Crown didn’t accept that whatsoever.”

Neal Taylor, mitigating said: “He is a self-employed man and custody will have severe consequences for himself and those who work for him.

“He realises that a custody sentence is the most likely result at the end.”

The court heard Holliley invested a £50,000 inheritance in his scaffolding business last year.

He was remanded in custody until August 31, because magistrates said there were ‘substantial grounds to believe he will commit further offences.’

He was also given an interim disqualification.