DOOMED? Badgers resign from Evo-Stik League

Eastwood are no longer 'proud members' of any league following the resignation.
Eastwood are no longer 'proud members' of any league following the resignation.

Another big nail was hammered into the coffin of Eastwood Town FC this week as the club’s resignation from the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League was accepted.

A statement on the league’s website was posted on Monday stating that the Badgers were no longer members of the NPL, and that their upcoming matches would be postponed until a further meeting of league officials will decide on the next move.

The last five Eastwood games had been postponed following the locking of the gates at their Coronation Park home by landlord Broxtowe Borough Council, with the future of the club in its current entity seemingly doomed.

The league statement read: “At a meeting of the Northern Premier League Board yesterday (Feb 23) a league resignation letter received on behalf of Eastwood Town Football Club was accepted.

“The next meeting of the board, scheduled for the 9th March, will consider the options available with regards to the playing record to date and the impact of any Eastwood Town cancelled fixtures.

“All Eastwood Town fixtures up to the 9th March will show as postponed until the decision has been made.

“A further statement will be issued after the meeting on 9th March.”

Former Eastwood Town owner Steve Lynch told the Advertiser this week his hopes that help would be forthcoming to try and save the club failed to materialise.

He said: “Following the statement previously put out by the league, not one person was forthcoming to try to help with the club, even with the offer of me cancelling any loans that the club owes with me.

“So it was left with no choice but to resign from the league. As such I am making arrangements to enforce the defaults on the loans which were secured against all the assets of the club.”

Lynch also expressed concerns over what the future may now hold for the Badgers’ Coronation Park headquarters.

He said: “There is talk that the ground has now been condemned by the council even though the ground was safety certified every year to comply with council regulations and passed every year.”

However, Broxtowe Borough Council leader Milan Radulovic denied that the ground has been condemned, stating instead that at this stage there are merely concerns over its safety.

He said: “The current situation is that Broxtowe Borough Council is not in possession of a current safety certificate for the Coronation Park football ground. Whether one doesn’t exist at all or whether the latest one is somewhere at the club but has simply lapsed due to the ground closure is something we are trying to ascertain.

“However, before the ground can be brought back into use in any way it needs to be inspected by the relevant authority and a safety certificate issued.”

l For breaking news on the Eastwood Town story as it develops, see www.eastwoodadvertiser.co.uk.