Buyers announced as Cox resigns his post

Paul Cox
Paul Cox

NEW owners and a new manager look set to arrive at Coronation Park this summer as the purchase of Eastwood Town FC was announced just days after the club was put up for sale.

And while details of both the takeover and those instigating it remained sketchy as the Advertiser went to press this week, it had nevertheless been confirmed by the club that a deal had been done and a new manager identified.

That individual will have the job of filling the hot-seat left by Paul Cox, who resigned from his role last Thursday night following seven years at the club.

His departure left a further void for outgoing owner Robert Yong and chairman Tony Minnis to fill, but within days a statement on Eastwood’s official website from Minnis announced that the Badgers had been bought and that more details would be released in due course.

Minnis’s statement read: “I am pleased to announce that we have agreed the sale of Eastwood Town FC.

“A company represented by a Mr Jamie Brough will officially take over ownership of the club on the 1st June 2011, on completion of the relevant legal documentation.

“Jamie, along with other board directors who will be joining, have significant experience within league and non-league football.

“The board has great long term plans for the club and I can honestly say that I believe that they will invest the time and effort that is required in order to take the club forward.

“With Paul’s resignation last week, new management has been identified and the club should be in a position to give more details over the coming weeks in relation to this and the new board of directors.

“We will work with the new board to ensure a smooth handover.”

Resignation

Cox’s decision to quit the Badgers came after a season which had seen his side rise dramatically up the league table having been bottom of it early in the campaign.

But despite a fourth-placed finish he was unable to lead the team into the end of season play-off competition as Coronation Park’s ground grading was deemed unsuitable.

That body blow, along with the news that the club was up for sale, left Cox feeling the time was right to go.

He said: “It was a tough decision to make but having talked things over with my partner and considered many different aspects of what has been happening recently, I feel I’ve taken the club as far as I can at this moment in time and that now is the right moment to step aside.

“I feel I need a fresh challenge having been at Eastwood for so long and I think I’m leaving the club in a really healthy state, at the highest level it’s ever been at and at a time when lots of things will be changing with new owners expected to be coming in.”

Minnis said: “It has been a pleasure to work with Paul over the last few years and I’m sure there will be a lot of supporters who will be disappointed to see him depart after taking the club to its highest ever league finish.”

There is a full interview with Paul Cox on page 27.