The last remaining part of the coal mining in the village – this is a buttress that used to take the trucks of coal over the canal via a small railway.
The wall that can be seen is the last remaining pillar of the rail link that ran over the Nottingham Canal from the coal mine to the waiting trucks. It is situated at the entrance of the Bamford scrap company on Shilo Way.
Originally the coal mines were believed to have started in 1865 and eventually closed down in 1895 to 1899. However, there is a record of the pits being open in 1594, and in 1615.
Slag heaps can be seen in the background at the site of the two main shafts.