Staff at the Water Works in 1932

editorial image
Share this article

Pictured are Arthur Cooke and his son Stanley Cooke, who used to work at the Water Works.

Arthur was employed as resident plant superintendent at the firm from its opening in 1914, and worked there until he retired in 1939.

Other members of the orginal permanent staff were Bill Woodcock and Mr Watson, who was the gardener. After Mr Cooke’s retrirement, Mr Kevin became plant engineer until he retired in 1966. Following him was Roy Foulkes until it closed in 1974.

Initially there were 21 filter units each producing an output of 33,000 gallons of water per hour hour. Later the capacity doubled.