A trip down memory lane

THE Empire Cinema at the corner of Nottingham Road and King Street in Eastwood was built in 1913 and the upper part of the building remains unaltered.

A special commemorative medal was produced by the Empire Cinema to celebrate King George V and Queen Mary’s visit to Eastwood on June 25 1914.

After the cinema closed, the premises was taken over by Woolworths in 1957.

Long queues formed outside on the first day of business.

When the store opened it had the traditional style of personal service counters and the staff wore a turquoise nylon wrapover.

If they worked on the food counter they would wear a white overall on top with a pleated headdress embroidered with the letter ‘W’.