Battle with police after Newcastle Brown Ale and cocaine binge

Mansfield Magistrates Court
Mansfield Magistrates Court

A Sutton man fought with police officers after consuming 12 bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale and cocaine on the day of his uncle’s funeral.

Lee Hart, 28, of Silk Street, admitted two counts of assault and one of possessing cannabis.

Police constables Johnson and Beard attended the Nag’s Head in the early hours of April 16, after reports of a disturbance and were directed to Silk by an injured man.

Robert Carr, prosecuting, said Hart tried to pull off the handcuffs and squared up to PC Johnson.

He said: “The officer tried to sweep Hart’s legs out from under him. Hart punched PC Johnson twice in the face, causing cuts and swelling.

“PC Beard grabbed hold of Hart’s shirt and Hart punched him twice in the head.

“They continued to grapple and collided with a telephone box. PC Beard lost his grip and Hart made off.

“PC Beard gave chase and caught him when he fell over.”

The court heard Hart had been ejected from the pub and was shouting at the door staff when police arrived.

He told police he had drunk ‘at least 12 bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale’ and taken some cocaine following his uncle’s funeral.

“He said he had no recollection of what happened, but agreed with the accusations when shown CCTV.”

Mary Dixon, mitigating, said: “I know the courts regard these offences very seriously. In this particular event it’s fair to say emotions were running high.”

Ms Dixon said Hart had served a ‘lengthy prison sentence’ and was released in 2013.

“When he came out of prison on the last occasion he really turned his life around,” she said. “He has a full time job as a long distance lorry driver and is expecting a child with his partner.

“I would ask you to step back from an immediate custodial sentence. He would certainly lose that job. Perhaps more important is the impact on members of his family.”

Ms Dixon said Hart’s partner and two children from a previous relationship would be affected.

Magistrates gave Hart 15 weeks, suspended for 12 months.

He was ordered to attend ten sessions of a controlling violence in drink course and six sessions of a rehabilitation activity requirement.

He was ordered to pay £85 costs and compensation of £70 to PC Johnson and £45 to PC Beard.