caring for older relatives

editorial image
Share this article

A recent national news story suggested that organising care for older relatives can be one of life’s most stressful moments.

I have first-hand experience of this and finding the right setting for a loved one that meets their needs can be a minefield of choices and challenges.

For many older people with complex needs, residential care is the only option, but where possible, many other older adults prefer to stay at home and keep their independence with home care support.

One option that is less well known is extra care accommodation. Extra care is an extension to traditional supported housing.

Unlike residential care homes, residents in extra care accommodation have a front door and a self-contained home so have greater privacy whilst having the reassurance of care staff on-site 24 hours a day to provide support where needed. Residents also have the use of on-site communal facilities.

Depending on the location, residents have the option to buy, part buy or rent their accommodation, with a number of homes within each scheme made available to older people who are assessed by the county council as being eligible for social care support in the form of extra care.

There are already seven existing extra care schemes in Nottinghamshire and the County Council is investing £12.65m to support the creation of more extra care schemes across the county.

A lot of activity is currently underway across the county, including plans being developed for an extra care scheme on the former Walker Street School site in Eastwood to create 30 extra care homes within a wider development of 140 new homes for older adults.

Subject to planning approval, work on site is expected to start on site in early 2015.

In addition, the county council is continuing to look for further schemes across the county to be developed in due course.

As the demand for care and support for older people is increasing, it is vital that there is plenty of choice locally.

I strongly believe extra care will be an increasingly popular option as it helps to maintain people’s independence whilst giving them the support they need when they need it.

There is a wide range of support available to help you live at home and avoid going into residential care.

Extra care housing can be a good alternative to going into a care home. Contact us and tell us about the support you need. A social care worker will talk to you about what is available.

Only if none of this home-based support is suitable will you need to think about moving into residential care.

Telephone 03005008080 or email to speak to someone.