Armed robbers raid Giltbrook restaurant

NEAALM110802C1 - Frankie and Benny's Giltbrook
NEAALM110802C1 - Frankie and Benny's Giltbrook

ARMED robbers struck for the second time in just over a week – this time at Frankie & Benny’s in Giltbrook.

Robbers burst into the restaurant last Sunday night armed with several ‘bladed instruments’, threatened staff and escaped with a ‘quantity of cash’, according to police.

It comes just nine days after a security guard was shot in the leg during an armed robbery at the Hilltop Tesco Express in Eastwood, but police say the two incidents are ‘in no way linked’.

Police say the offenders – who covered their faces – threatened staff as they were clearing up the empty restaurant at the end of the night last Sunday, July 31, at about 10.15pm.

They escaped in a silver Mercedes, which police say was stolen. It was later found abandoned in Digby Street, Kimberley, where it is believed they got into a white transit van.

Nobody was injured during the incident.

Sgt Andy Browning at Eastwood Police Station said it was ‘very unusual’ to have two armed robberies in such a short space of time.

“It is very unusual for us,” he said. “I can’t remember any occasion where we have had two like that.

“I’ve never known it. We’ve had knife-point robberies, but that’s on the street. It’s very unusual to have them in stores and restaurants like that.”

Just over a week before on Friday, July 22, armed robbers struck at Tesco Express, Hilltop and a security guard was shot in the leg.

Three men, all black, approached the man from G4S Security as he filled up the cash machine in broad daylight.

One of them shot him just above the kneecap, leaving him in hospital for days where he underwent several operations.

Police are still appealing for witnesses for both incidents and asking people to come forward with information.

If anybody has any information they should call police on 0300 300 9999 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

n No arrests have been made in connection with the Tesco robbery but two men aged 25 and one 17-year-old woman have been arrested following the incident at Frankie & Benny’s.

They were arrested on Monday and quizzed by detectives until midnight on Tuesday when they were released on bail.