Eastwood man bombarded ex-partner with threatening emails

An Eastwood man made his ex-partner's life a misery by bombarding her with dozens of threatening messages, a court has heard.

Friday, 16th April 2021, 8:17 am

Dean Matthews was banned from contacting the woman thourgh a non-molestation order imposed by Derby magistrates in August 2019.

But she received more than 110 emails from him through three different email addresses between October 24 and November 6, last year.

"They initially began asking for contact, however they subsequently became threatening," said prosecutor Eunice Opare-Addo.

Nottingham Crown Court.

One read: “You're a horrible piece of work. I promise I will get even with you. You're on my list.”

Referring to a vehicle, another said: “If I don't get it back I will claim it back one way or another.”

Matthews threatened to go to her home and damage her car and windows, and when she didn’t respond, he contacted her sister.

In a statement the woman said she was distressed and upset by ‘private and personal information the defendant disclosed to her friends’.

“She said she wants to stop having to look over shoulder and live in peace,” said Ms Opare-Addo.

Nottingham Crown Court heard he has 10 convictions for 19 offences, including drunk and disorderly, drink driving, and harassment, for which he received a community order in 2017.

Denney Lau, mitigating, said Matthews couldn't accept he wasn’t able to see his children after the 13-year relationship ended.

"He accepts he used the wrong method to persuade her,” he said. “He has spent 12 weeks in custody and has learned a lot about himself. Immediate custody will impact others. He is someone who can be trusted in the community by way of a suspended sentence.”

Matthews, 38, of Chapel Street, Eastwood, was convicted of breaching a non-molestation order, two counts of harassment without and conveying a threatening communication, on January 12.

Judge Steven Coupland told him: “You repeatedly stuck two fingers up at the court. You sent her hundreds of messages, some of which were threatening and unpleasant, and they were designed to cause distress. You made her life a misery and she was left feeling unsafe in her own home.”

He imposed a 12-month sentence, which will mean Matthews is released shortly because of time he has spent on remand.

A restraining order, banning him from contacting his ex-partner, was made until further notice.

Editor’s message: In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together.