Eastwood teenager jailed for stabbing man outside his home

An Eastwood teenager stabbed a man in the thigh and between the ribs as he lay defenceless outside his own home, a court has heard.

Wednesday, 31st March 2021, 2:25 pm

Jaden Scott was arguing with a girl at 5.15pm, on March 2, 2020, on Amesbury Circus, CInderhill, as a resident returned home, said prosecutor Richard Sheldon.

When the man heard a mobile phone smash, Scott asked him: "What the f*** are you looking at?"

Scott continued to be abusive as the man walked down his drive and then headbutted him in the mouth.

Jaden Scott

He began swinging punches and produced a knife with a five-inch blade from his sock. The man ran back towards his house, but tripped and fell to the ground.

He was curled up in a ball when Scott stabbed him twice, leaving a 3cm wound in his abdomen and a two-and-a-half wound in his left thigh.

His victim managed to grab him in a bearhug and Scott fled the scene, said Mr Sheldon.

The man was able to get inside his home where his partner applied pressure to the wounds until the emergency services arrived.

Nottingham Crown Court.

On Wednesday, Nottingham Crown Court heard Scott has previous convictions for threatening behaviour, in 2017, for two counts of assault, in 2018, and for criminal damage, in 2019.

Simon Eckersley, mitigating, read from a letter written by Scott, in which he expressed his remorse and said he wanted to apologise to his victim for what he did.

He said two weeks before the incident he lost a close friend which left him depressed, and denied he was affiliated to a gang. Since being in custody, Scott said he has "matured" and "learnt a lot."

"This is tragic for all concerned," said Mr Eckersley. "He is young. He has spent the last year of his life thinking things over."

Scott, 19, of Oak Drive, Eastwood, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and possession of a knife.

Recorder Jason Macadam told Scott: "This was an appalling crime and yobbish behaviour. You took out your frustration and anger on an innocent bystander."

But he noted that “no serious injuries” were caused by the attack. He sentenced Scott to 52 months and imposed a restraining order for eleven and a half years.

Editor’s message: In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together.