Newthorpe man's "savage" attack on childhood friend at 21st birthday

A Newthorpe man lashed out at his childhood friend and “beat him savagely” as he celebrated his 21st birthday in Nottingham city centre, a court has heard.

Tuesday, 20th April 2021, 8:05 am

Cameron Demetriou and another, unnamed man launched the unprovoked attack at a bus stop on Upper Parliament Street, at 2.45am, on September 29, 2019.

The assault left his victim with blood coming down his face from lacerations on his forehead and around his left eye socket, said prosecutor Gareth Gimson at Nottingham Crown Court.

Moments earlier a drunken Demetriou was recorded arguing with a number of people outside Rock City.

Read the latest stories from Nottingham Crown Court.

When his pal tried to “act as a peacemaker,” Demetriou threw him to the ground and kicked him.

His victim, who has known Demetriou since they were both aged seven in primary school, texted him after the aftercation to say: “I was only trying to help you. I thought we were supposed to be mates. Try that again and you will see what happens.”

But Demetriou ran into him “by chance” at the bus stop, and the assault took place.

In a statement, the self-employed bricklayer said he also sustained a painful knee injury which stopped him sleeping and cost him money because of time off work.

Digby Johnson, mitigating, said it was "a deplorable incident," and Demetriou, who has no previous convictions, was "absolutely appalled by the way the night panned out."

He said “a great deal of alcohol was being taken” and “there had been great expectations about the evening” which caused tensions to flare up.

“Although there is no deep animosity someone who was a friend since they were seven is no longer a friend,” said Mr Johnson.

“Something has been lost. If he could rebuild that relationship he would.”

Demetriou, now 22, of Mill Road, Newthorpe, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray, on April 7.

On Friday, Recorder Michael Auty QC imposed an 18-month sentence, suspended for two years, and ordered him to pay £2,000 compensation.

He told Demetriou: “He was your friend. And that night he was trying to stop you killing someone. He was doing his best for you. And you, in drink, beat him savagely.”

Editor’s message: In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together.