A flagship play centre was forced to close in the aftermath of last week’s flash floods — sparking a row with a frustrated mum whose two-year-old son’s birthday party had to be cancelled.
Claire Cosgrave booked the bash at Escape at the Giltbrook Retail Park for last Sunday, but the firm was forced to pull the plug amid problems caused by the thunderstorms.
In fact, it will not re-open until tomorrow (Saturday August 2) — after having to close for ten days.
But the 36-year-old mum has hit out after she was initially refused a refund. She also says she was not offered any compensation.
However, the two parties have now reached an agreement and Claire has been given a refund — despite the initial contract she signed containing a clause that the venue cannot be held responsible for cancellations due to the weather.
Before this, Claire heavily criticised the service — despite the management offering to allow her to re-stage the party this weekend.
She said: “I asked for a refund and when they said no I asked for credit note, so I could use it the next time I went. But they wouldn’t do that either.
“I just found them really inconsiderate over the whole thing.” She added that policies should be reviewed.
But Escape manager Julie Hough said the centre phoned Claire to explain what had happened and they would be in touch as soon as the action-packed venue re-opened.
She added: “The flood was very unexpected.
“We could have just tidied up but it’s child safety at the end of the day and we wanted to go down the proper avenues.”
Confirming Claire’s refund, a member of staff, who refused to be named, said: “We have given her a refund. That’s what she wanted and she is more than happy with that.”