Legal high man spat blood into cop’s face

Mansfield Magistrates Court
Mansfield Magistrates Court

A Worksop man spat blood into a police officer’s face during a violent struggle while under the influence of booze and the legal high ‘mamba’, a court has heard.

Liam Bradford, 22, of Netherton Road, admitted the assaults after an earlier non-guilty plea at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

The court heard he also pleaded guilty to spitting in the eye of a door man at the Cornerhouse pub in Worksop.

Robert Carr, prosecuting, said: “Sgt Hunter and PC Topham were on mobile patrol in Worksop town centre in the early hours of October 31.

“The defendant was handcuffed and they tried to pull his arm behind his back when he resisted.

“Sgt Hunter was able to push him against the window of a shop and put the other handcuff on.

“He continued to struggle and was taken to the floor, shouting and screaming.

“He kicked his legs out and he started to headbutt the floor.

“The officers held his head to stop him. Bradford kicked Sgt Hunter in the thigh and bit the back of his left hand but didn’t break the skin.

“PC Topham put his foot under Bradford’s head to cushion it. Bradford tried to bite his foot through his boot.

“He continued to shout and scream and made threats against the officers’ wives and children.”

He was taken to Bassetlaw Hospital because he injured his head.

When his leg restraints were removed he spat a mixture of saliva and blood into Sgt Hunter’s face.

Mr Carr said Bradford slipped past the door staff at the Cornerhouse at 1.30am on September 19, last year.

“He started bouncing around, waving a glass and a bottle, and shouted ‘I’ll do the lot of you!’

“He spat at the door man and ran off. Some of it him in the eye. He had to go to the doctor to see if he had been infected.”

Bradford returned an hour later and said he was sorry, the court heard.

Michael Little, mitigating, said: “Mr Bradford would quite honestly say he remembers little about the back months of 2015.”

He said Bradford suffered from mental health problems and had been under the influence of alcohol and the legal high ‘mamba’.

“Rather than him looking to go out to fight the police these are all incidents where he tried to prevent being arrested,” he said.

He was sentenced to 20 weeks in prison and ordered to pay £20 compensation to each victim.