MEMORY LANE: New Eastwood Council School, 1910

editorial image

Wilson’s School or ‘Tin Tack School’ as it was more commonly known, owing to its construction of corrugated iron with wooden panels inside, was built by Mr Hudson.

Mr Hudson had a general store in Nottingham Road and lived in one of the ‘Oak Cottages’ on Newmanleys Road, New Eastwood.

His daughter married Tom Wilson, a teacher, and the school was built for him to take the headship.

The school was burnt down in 1944 when the boiler overheated. Pictured here are Alice Wood, Adelaide Bothamley, Gilbert Wood, Elsie Templman, Agatha Kirk, headmaster Tom Wilson and the sister of DH Lawrence, Ada.