‘Problem’ jitty will stay open

Alleyway between Cederland crescent and Nottingham road Nuthall.
Alleyway between Cederland crescent and Nottingham road Nuthall.

An alleyway in Nuthall which ‘fuels crime’ according to residents will be kept open, Nottinghamshire County Council has ruled.

The council met last week to decide on the fate of the jitty in Cederland Crescent, which some residents say has been an ‘access point’ and ‘getaway’ for criminals for more than 20 years.

Neil Codd has been left furious at the decision, saying he has suffered ‘thousands of pounds worth’ of damage to his property.

“It has cost me an absolute fortune and no-one is interested.

“I’ve been here since 1994 but I could quite easily walk away from this house now.”

Mr Codd, who has been broken into, had several cars damaged and had things thrown over his garden walls, estimated that two dozen other families had been victims of crime over the years, but with people moving in and out, there was not a ‘true picture’.

But there was mixed feeling at the council meeting.

Paul Turville said a closed jitty would mean an extra mile walk to get to the local park where he regularly takes his dogs and two young grandchildren.

And he said for the elderly living nearby the situation would be even worse.

“There’s an 83-year-old man who walks with a stick to get his newspaper everyday from the petrol station.”

Mr Turville has lived in Cederland Crescent for 33 years, and admits the jitty has fuelled crime. But he said things have improved over the last year due to new management and cliental at a local pub, and an old people’s home being built on what was once a derelict site which attracted yobs.

Bruce Laughton, chairman of the rights of way committee at the council, said: “There needs to be substantial evidence the highway is an intrinsic contributor to the levels of crime. We carried out a consultation, which found that 80 per cent of people were in favour of keeping it open and an audit of crime found that there had not been any incidents reported over the last 12 months.”

The situation will be monitored for six months, when it will go back to the committee.