Takeaway owners fined

NEAABE110824a1, Lasani takeaway, Hilltop Eastwood.
NEAABE110824a1, Lasani takeaway, Hilltop Eastwood.

A TIP-OFF from a member of the public alerted the Environmental Health Department to cooked meat and rice being left out and dirty conditions at at a Hill Top takeaway restaurant.

A nephew and uncle who worked at the Lasani restaurant were both prosecuted for food hygiene offences as a result of inspectors’ findings.

Safir Iqbal, of Wye Gardens, Nottingham, had been left in charge of the premises whilst the registered food business operator, Mr Riaz Chowdhury of Grundy Street, was out of the country.

After a phone call from a member of the public saying that chicken carcasses had been left outside overnight an officer visited immediately.

The premises were empty so the chicken was taken as evidence and the officer returned just before opening time.

The restaurant was found to be dirty, rubbish bins containing food waste were uncovered and un-emptied, cooked rice had been left out overnight, cooked meats were uncovered in the chiller and dirty food containers and chopping boards were also found.

Out-of-date yoghurt was found to be being used and there was no clean apron available.

Mr Iqbal fully accepted responsibility for the conditions at the premises but in mitigation he said that he had not been at the premises on the previous evening.

However the magistrates commented that they found the conditions ‘horrifying’ and said it was hard to believe that the premises had got into that condition in 24 hours.

Mr Iqbal was sentenced to 200 hours of Community Service in the form of unpaid work and ordered to pay costs of £1,461.

Mr Chowdhury, the registered food business operator who was out of the country at the time of the offences, denied that he had any responsibility because he had handed the business to Mr Iqbal earlier in the year.

Mr Chowdhury pleaded guilty at Nottingham Magistrates Court on August 3 to failing to inform the Environmental Health Department of the change in ownership and failing to having in place a written food safety management system.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs of £688.44 and a £15 victim surcharge.