Tesco hailed staff as heroes after robbery

Hilltop eastwood tesco express
Hilltop eastwood tesco express

Police have released CCTV images of the masked man wanted for an armed robbery in Eastwood and are urging anyone with information to come forward and prevent him from committing further offences.

The man entered the Tesco Express on Nottingham Road last week brandishing a crowbar, and jumped over the counter and stole cash from the till.

The incident occurred at 10.30pm on Monday September 14 and police were called when staff pressed a panic button.

Tesco’s staff did not attempt to intervene in the robbery and although they were shaken up by the incident no-one was hurt.

Tesco spokesman Mark Thomas told the Advertiser: “Our colleagues acted heroically in what was clearly a traumatic event and we’re very glad that no-one was hurt. It is a pretty awful thing to go through for anyone.”

Mr Thomas added that they would be reviewing whether the store should have a security guard.

“Previously we didn’t want to appear heavy handed where it was not necessary. However, the safety of our colleagues and customers is our highest priority.”

Marcus Oldroyd, Detective Inspector for Broxtowe North, urged anyone with information to come forward to prevent the robber from reoffending.

He added: “For those who know something but have hesitated to call the police or Crimestoppers, just consider that it could have been one of your relatives in the shop at the time.”

The man is described as white, around 5ft 10in tall and was wearing a bright blue Adidas jacket, black tracksuit bottoms with a white stripe down the side, black trainers and a balaclava. He left the scene towards Eastwood town centre in a red hatchback-type vehicle.

Eastwood’s Neighbourhood Watch administrator Ray Marsden believes residents of Eastwood are becoming immune to crime as not many people have been discussing the incident.

He said this could be because there was a robbery at the same store in July 2011 when a man was shot in the leg.

Mr Marsden said: “I don’t like being cynical about it but because it has happened before and there was a lot of shock and horror then, people do seem to get used to it.”

He has been circulating information from the police via email to those in the neighbourhood watch scheme, but has not had any responses yet.

He added: “There are over 100 houses there - someone must have been around at that time.

“It is up to the community to stand together and suggest ways that we can tackle crime.”

If you have any information about this incident or you saw anything suspicious that evening, contact the police on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.