Traumatic service in Afghanistan led to Forces man attacking his wife

NEWS from Nottingham Magistrates' Court.
NEWS from Nottingham Magistrates' Court.

Traumatic service in Afghanistan triggered mental-health issues that led to an Eastwood man harassing and assaulting his estranged wife, a court heard.

The marriage of Shane Ellicock, 28, and wife Emma, of Serlby Road, broke down when he returned home from his postings overseas.

His time serving his country “had a profound effect on him”, it was said. And he flew into “uncontrollable rages” at times, leaving Mrs Ellicock “petrified” as he tried to belittle her.

Ellicock pleaded guilty at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court to assaulting her and also her friend, David Neal, and causing £100 damage to a door at the Serlby Road address on Wednesday, January 27. He also admitted harassing her by sending more than 100 text messages inside a ten-day period, leading up to that date.

The court was told by Mark Salt, prosecuting, that even though they had split up, Ellicock still exerted control over his wife, telling her what to do and where she could and couldn’t go.

There was also an arrangement whereby she was expected to collect the prescription for his medication for his trauma illness.

However, he went two weeks without getting this medication, which led to him going round to see her.

“He lost his temper and head-butted and punched the door before ripping it off its hinges and throwing it to the floor,” said Mr Salt.

“In an altercation with Mr Neal, he spat at him. And then in a confrontation with his wife, while their upset children were upstairs, he pushed her into a door-frame. Mr Neal was disgusted and appalled. The police were called.”

Ellicock’s solicitor, Finn Butler, mitigating, said it was “an isolated incident”, partly caused by his lack of medication.

“There is no history of violence in their relationship, or on his record,” said Mr Butler.

“It was a reckless assault, and there was no intention to harm his wife. He is deeply remorseful. The last thing he wanted to do was to upset his family.

“There will be no repeat. The relationship has concluded, he has a new partner and has moved on.”

Mr Butler said Ellicock was still dealing with the mental-health problems caused from his time in the Forces. But he was now in the process of setting up his own furniture-making business.

Ellicock was sentenced to a community order for 12 months and fined £50. A restraining order was also imposed, banning him from contacting Mrs Ellicock for two years, except through solicitors, and he was told to pay compensation of £100, court costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £60.