Brave Eastwood battle well but Pinxton eventually prevail

Eastwood skipper Jack Hayron (left) gets physical with Pinxton scorer Pete Stubley on Saturday.
Eastwood skipper Jack Hayron (left) gets physical with Pinxton scorer Pete Stubley on Saturday.

Eastwood CFC continued their series of improved displays but couldn’t overhaul Pinxton on Saturday as the hosts ran out 4-2 winners.

A 9-0 mauling of the newly-established club in the reverse league fixture might have suggested three points were all but a formality for Pinxton, but it proved anything but against a much-improved Eastwood side.

Several changes on and off the pitch at Eastwood have taken place since that August encounter at Coronation Park, which has resulted in an up turn in fortunes and the players hae responded with three consecutive draws before Saturday’s encounter.

Pinxton went into the game in fine form too, having won three on the trot to move up the table.

But things got off to a flying start for Eastwood as they went in front in the first minute of the game.

A long ball to Nick Hewer wasn’t dealt with and the striker made no mistake when left one-on-one to put Eastwood in to an early lead.

The hosts weren’t behind for long, however, and a quick response followed within 30 seconds of the re-start when the in-form Tom Ellis drilled a shot hard and low from the edge of the opposing penalty box to equalise.

The scores were level but the balance of play was tipped in Eastwood’s favour, Hewer was the main architect with numerous attacks down the middle of the pitch that caused Pinxton problems.

But, against the run of play, the home side went ahead through experienced striker Pete Stubley, who grabbed his sixth goal of the season for the club since his move from Blidworth Welfare.

Pinxton’s rhythm was disrupted though when Daniel Henshaw limped off with a tight hamstring. Jonathan Nussey came on and a re-shuffle saw Darren Bettison move to centre back as Pinxton reverted to a 4-4-2 formation.

The home side dominated possession but were chased down quickly by an Eastwood side clearly eager to impress - although it wasn’t until the 67th minute that the game was put to bed in terms of a contest.

Two goals in as many minutes took the wind out of the visitors’ sails. Stubley twisted and turned and put in an accurate ball for Lee Farnsworth to finish past Rhys Watkinson for his first goal for the club.

Stubley was again instrumental moments later when he won another battle with the Eastwood defender to give Ellis an easy tap in at the far post to give Pinxton a three-goal cushion at 4-1.

Hewer was still causing problems for the hosts though, leading the charge late on which saw Pinxton fail to clear their lines and Steve Wright finished superbly into the top corner of the net to earn a consolation for the visitors.

Eastwood are next in action this Saturday (10th) when they host CML North side Westella VIP in the CMFL League Challenge Cup at Coronation Park, kick-off 3pm.