Bulls fight back to get revenge on Eastwood

Eastwood striker Lee Bull gets airborne at Bulwell. Photo by Anne Shelley.
Eastwood striker Lee Bull gets airborne at Bulwell. Photo by Anne Shelley.

Bulwell avenged their 4-2 defeat to Eastwood at Coronation Park back in January by this time winning 2-1 as the sides met again on Saturday.

The result earlier in the year was Eastwood’s first ever league win at a time when Bulwell were firm contenders for the title, and although the Bulls remain second in the league they are seven points behind Mickleover Royals who have three games in hand.

Eastwood, meanwhile, remain third from bottom and now can’t finish higher than that following the demise of Harrowby Saints who have withdrawn from the Central Midlands League South.

The first-half was goalless but both sides had chances to score, Eastwood skipper Jack Havron seeing a header from a corner well tipped over the bar by goalkeeper Simpson and team-mate Lee Bull also being denied by the keeper after a mix-up at the back.

Nick Hewer then went through on goal for ‘Wood early in the second-half but Simpson was again up to the challenge with an excellent save.

The opening goal came on 54 minutes when Bulwell’s Dwayne Soar set up Jake Fisher who fired home past Andy Fretwell to give the home side the lead.

Their second soon arrived after several chances had been squandered, Conor Carter this time the man on target after being picked out by Richard Saunders.

Eastwood sub Matt Clowes proved a good introduction and he set-up his side’s goal just three minutes after coming on, playing a superb through ball to defender-turned-striker Bull who slotted under the goalkeeper.

The final 20 minutes saw both sides battle for a decisive goal but the goalkeepers proved up to the challenge and Eastwood even saw two efforts cleared off the line, Bulwell eventually hanging on to claim the win.

Eastwood are next back in action on Saturday when they welcome mid-table Blidworth Welfare to Coronation Park for a 3pm kick-off.