Collapse proves costly as Kimberley lose out

Alex King bowls against Clifton in a match Kimberley lost by 70 runs.
Alex King bowls against Clifton in a match Kimberley lost by 70 runs.

Another batting collapse this time saw Kimberley pay the price as they fell to defeat at home to Clifton on Saturday.

Whilst they had hung on to secure an opening day victory seven days earlier, this time they fell well short of Clifton’s Village’s 190-run target and this after Jon Shaw’s (7-56) magnificent spell of bowling had ripped apart the visitors.

The visitors won the toss and opted to bat first on a green-tinged track, but it looked the right call as openers Tim le Breton (22) and Scott McNeill (51) added 56 for the first wicket.

Shaw had le Breton caught at slip by Alex King in his second over, and in his third over he did for Clifton’s overseas Iyer as he too was caught behind by skipper Sam Ogrizovic and the score was now 68-2 in the 14th.

Kimberley had to wait another 11 overs for their next wicket as McNeill and Richard Harris (30) moved the score along to 119 until Shaw trapped Harris dead in front lbw and Kimberley went to drinks probably the happier of the two teams.

They most certainly were after drinks as Clifton decided to self-destruct and 119-2 became 189 all out inside 20 overs.

King (3-49) was first to strike when McNeill holed out to Tom Rowe on the mid-wicket boundary and then Caleb Meirkalns was in and out as he lobbed a tame catch off Shaw to Dom Wheatley to give the bowler his fourth victim.

Martin Weightman (12) and Dan Meirkalns (17) hung around for a little bit before Weightman was stumped via King and Meirkalns then was caught by the ubiquitous Shaw; 152-7 after 32.

Keeper Alastair Walters (20*) shepherded them through for 37 runs, but it was Shaw who prised them out, catching Harvey off his own bowling and then shattering Turner and Sharpe’s stumps to leave the visitors all out for 189.

Kimberley had 55 overs in which to chase down 190. At 31-4 and then 59-6 that looked a distant dream as the top order failed to apply themselves with Weightman (5-25), Harvery (2-26) and Iyer (2-25) cashing in on some poor batting and, to rub salt in the wound, not one of the batsman to fall managing to make it into double figures.

Wheatley (38) and Shaw (17), showed some much needed industry to add 49 runs to bring Kimberley right back into the game.

At 108-6 in the 40th the game was in the balance, until Shaw was adjudged stumped off Iyer and it seemed Kimberley’s chances had gone with him.

James Mann fell lbw next over to the returning Weightman to leave the score 110-8 in the 41st and Wheatley and Chris Glover soon followed to seal the win for Clifton.

Kimberley seconds thrashed Bottesford by ten wickets.

Four wickets apiece from Sukhdeep Sidhu (4-26) and Jack Blatherwick (4-11) helped to skittle the home side before the experienced opening partnership of Vaughan Hamilton and Jon Terry ensured a thumping victory.

Ben Crouch (1-14) and Liam Webb were parsimonious with the new ball and it was the former who struck first with the score on 18.

Danny Williams (1-22) claimed the next man with the score on 38 before Sidhu took over and span his way through the middle-order.

Then it was Blatherwick’s turn as he blew away the tail and left Bottesford 113 all out.

It got little better for Bottesford when they took to the field as Hamilton (44*) and Terry (68*) knocked off the runs with relative ease with the win coming in the 28th over.

Kimberley thirds overcame Burton Joyce by six wickets.

Burton Joyce won the toss but lost their first wicket in the fifth over when Charlie Walters plucked a looping cover drive from overhead and behind him for a stunning wicket.

Two solid partnerships from Burton Joyce left them well placed to press on at 91-2 but Joe Allport (2-25) and Walters (3-36) put the brakes on and there was a middle order collapse to 105-7.

The seventh wicket was taken by Matt Ross (3-40) and the innings eventually ended on 171-9.

Krutarth Dave and Allport both fell early on in reply but John Aldred (20) and Alex Terry (87 not out) added 65 before Aldred departed and then Connor Richardson was adjudged LBW leaving KICC at 106-4 in the 27th.

However, incoming skipper Paul Taylor (33 not out) and Man of the Match Terry set their stall out and saw Kimberley over the line in the 40th over.