Batting fails again for the Millers 1sts

Langley Mill United CC’s first team returned to action at Station Road on Saturday after being away from hone for the last two weeks, to take on Trentside.

They were looking to bounce back after last week’s thumping at West Hallam.

But that was as far as the hope got as the Millers slumped again.

Skipper Bailey won the toss and backed his team to bounce back, but they capitulated again in spectacular fashion.

Bailey was first to fall for a duck and after that there was a steady procession as the Millers pressed the self destruct button and tried to force the runs.

It was soon 45-5 off 15 overs with Trentside running riot and inflicting what the Millers had done earlier in the season to them.

In the end, there was little resistance and the Millers finished 102 all out in 26 overs

For the Staffordshire-based visitors, Dave Hughes was the star, picking up 7-37 off 13 overs.

In reply, 15 overs needed to be bowled before tea was taken and Trentside were cautious in not wanting to lose any early wickets and made it to tea with 39 on the board.

This gave the Millers a chance to regroup and they came out and took two quick wickets to muster another point, but after that they couldn’t quite break Trentside’s determination to pick up the 27 points on offer.

Trentside finished the job, losing just three wickets for 105.

Hatton and Bailey were the wicket takers. Again alarmingly, the extras column was 42, which was the top scorer.

The next game sees the Millers travel to Nutbrook to try and put these last two weeks behind them.

The match ball sponsor for Saturday’s game was Steve Brown, which was much appreciated, as was Lynn and Tracey’s work on the excellent tea.

Meanwhile, Langley Mill’s seconds were in Division 4N action on Saturday.

They were away to Clay Cross and were able to complete a five-wicket win.

It was a good day for the Millers’ Daniel Lacey. He took 4-38 as Langley Mill, who won the toss and bowled first, dismissed their hosts for 143 in 45.3 overs.

He then impressed with the bat, scoring 42 as the Millers finished on 147-5 to complete the victory.