Brailsford disposed of as Millers move up to third

LANGLEY Mill’s first team raced to third spot in Derbyshire League Division Three after bundling Brailsford & Ednaston out for 141 at Station Road on Saturday.

Chasing 238 to win, the visitors slumped from 110-2 to a 94-run defeat thanks to excellent bowling from Andrew Bailey and Jeff Wharton.

Batting first on a sunny afternoon on a bone dry track, the Millers soon lost wickets when Dan Nicks had Aaron Tullett leg before for 19 and Tom Gadsby had Jamie Salmons caught behind by Graham Cope for 11. Both openers back in the pavilion and only 45 on the board.

Sajendra Thimal and Jack Scott took the Millers to 87 before Scott was caught by Nicks, off Duncan Player, for 14, but Thimal was soon showing the style seen in recent seasons as he strolled to his fifty.

Paul Bailey joined the Sri Lankan and the pair put on 111 for the fourth wicket before Thimal was caught by Justin Jones, off Jago Pearson for 86 (16 fours).

Bailey reached his fifty before Pearson struck again, having the batsman caught by Duncan Player for 53.

At 204 for 5, and only six overs left, the Millers opened up and the inevitable fall of wickets followed.

Gadsby removed Andrew Bailey and Andy Sibley in the same over, both caught behind for ducks, and Pearson got his third when Wharton was caught by Player for 10. Rich Krupiak was run out for just a single, but Grant Ball (12 not out) and Jordan Fredrickson (10 not out) took the Millers to 238 for 9 at the close.

For the visitors, Pearson’s three came at a cost of 55 and Gadsby’s three at a cost of 69. Nicks and Player picked up the other wickets to fall.

Brailsford started their reply well and looked to be cruising as they raced to 54 before Ball removed skipper Matt Dowling, caught by Aaron Tullett for 14.

Pearson was next to go, run out by Scott for 53 and on 110, the third wicket, that of Gadsby, fell when Wharton had him caught behind for 22.

From here, there was a steady procession of batsmen as the visitors lost their last seven wickets for only 18 runs.

Player was the fourth, caught by Tullett for 10 to give Wharton his second and on 128, Daniel Bould was caught by keeper Sibley, off Andrew Bailey, without scoring.

Bailey picked up his second on 133 removing Stewart Edge, clean bowled for 13, and Wharton grabbed his third trapping Rory Walker leg before for a single.

Bailey’s third came on 138 when he bowled Jones for nine and Wharton’s fourth came as Stephen Briggs was caught behind by Sibley for four.

The final wicket fell in the 39th over when Scott had Cope caught by Paul Bailey for a duck and the 27 points were in the Millers bag.

For the hosts, Wharton’s four cost him 46 and Bailey returned figures of 3 for 27. Ball’s wicket cost him 36 runs and Scott’s wicket 22 runs.