Firsts frustrated by rain at Papplewick

Kimberley 2nd XI fielders prepare to spring into action as Long Eaton's Andy Edge bats at Newdigate Street on Saturday.
Kimberley 2nd XI fielders prepare to spring into action as Long Eaton's Andy Edge bats at Newdigate Street on Saturday.

Papplewick & Linby 190-9 drew with KICC 1st XI 164-8

Kimberley suffered one of those days away at Papplewick and Linby as the weather frustrated their attempts to overcome the hosts.

After restricting the home team to 190-9, the rain interrupted their run chase several times meaning the game became time affected.

A steady clatter of wickets meant they never quite found their rhythm and, in the end, they had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Papplewick’s new captain Matt Dowman won the toss and opted to bat, but with only 16 runs on the board Matt Wright (3-38) made an early breakthrough by bowling Eamonn Vines.

Kimberley couldn’t capitalise on this as Dowman (42) and Warren Nel (77) added 64 for the third wicket, before Dowman hit Richard Adams (1-42) straight to Paldip Sidhu at mid-wicket.

The home team then slipped from 80-2 to 92-4, Wright claiming his second victim and Akhil Patel (3-40) his first.

Nel and Tim Clarke took the score to 139-4 before another clatter of wickets ensued, as Clarke was stumped off the bowling of debutant Simon Roberts (2-52) and then Wright prised out Nel when he drove to Dom Wheatley in the covers.

With Roberts trapping number eight Olly Makin lbw, Papplewick were 146-7 and in trouble.

But the tail wagged with Bradley Matthews (14) and Jim Rhodes (23) bolstering the home team’s effort until Patel got the better of both; the final total being 190-9.

Kimberley felt confident of chasing down the required total and even more so when Dan Birch imperiously drove Matthews (3-31) for four off the first ball, however he was out off of the third having miscued a pull-shot to mid-on.

With Jon Terry falling four overs later, again to Matthews, the scoreboard read 15-2.

Sidhu (35) and Patel (12), with a little help from extras (35), steadied the ship with a rain-interrupted stand of 35 before Patel edged Matthews behind.

The time lost ate into Kimberley’s innings and effectively left them with just 43 overs to chase down the required runs.

James Mann (34) proceeded to add 48 with Sidhu until the latter was enticed out of his crease by Makin (1-44) and stumped to leave Kimberley 98-4 in the 26th over.

Paul Riley (29*) joined Mann and they added 29 with Riley just beginning to find his rhythm before disaster struck via the left-arm spin of Dane Straw (3-19).

As the light faded, the temperature dropped and the dark clouds encroached, 127-4 became 142-7 with Mann, Wheatley and captain Sam Ogrizovic all being clean bowled by the south paw.

When Roberts fell to Rhodes (1-26) in the 39th the run chase was effectively over and Riley, with able assistance from Wright (5*), saw out the remaining overs to earn Kimberley a draw with both sides taking 11pts thanks to the weather.

KICC 2nd XI 87 all out lost to Long Eaton 89-3 by seven wickets

It was an afternoon to forget for the 2nd XI as their season got underway with a whimper.

Asked to bat first by the visitors, they made a steady start by moving to 22 without loss before falling to 22-3, and then from 42-3 they fell to 87 all out in the 33rd over.

Several batsmen got into double figures with Ian Wright top scoring with 20 and Ryan Cuthbert (4-22) and three run-outs doing the damage for the visitors.

Long Eaton didn’t secure victory until the 30th over and that was largely thanks to 51 from their captain Andy Edge.

Alex Beale (1-20) did manage an early breakthrough and Wright (2-14) rather rained on Long Eaton’s parade by taking two wickets late on, but it was too little too late as the visitors went away with maximum points.

KICC 4th XI 127 all out lost to Flintham 142 all out by 15 runs

Flintham were invited to bat first and a breakthrough came in the seventh over when 13-year-old Charlie Blatherwick dived forward at mid-on to start his first senior outing with a bang.

At the half way stage of the reduced 40 over fixture Flintham had reached 95-1, mostly due to a positive innings from Chapple with 50, who eventually departed in the 27th over at 119-4, caught behind off Liam Hodgkinson.

Blatherwick immediately came into the attack and having two appeals for stumpings turned down with his first two balls, he celebrated his first senior wicket when his third ball completely bamboozled the batsman leaving fellow debutant Josh Fraser, aged 15, to expertly remove the bails.

That set the tone for the next few over’s as Blatherwick and Fraser ripped through the Flintham middle order, leading to outstanding figures for Blatherwick of 5-0-13-4, complimented by Fraser with three stumpings.

Rich Kelley took 1 for 9 as Kimberley took seven wickets for 23 runs in the last 12 overs.

The Kimberley innings progressed well with 50 coming in the 12th over for the loss of one wicket.

This incorporated a sensible partnership between Ed Wright and Tom Whittingham and when the latter fell for 20, Wright and captain Paul Taylor made further progress.

Their 53-run partnership ended in the 27th over with Wright falling for 43.

At 119-3 in the 30th needing just 23 runs to win, Kimberley were well-placed.

But when Taylor gifted a leading edge and fell for 30, batters six to 11 each failed to score more than one run, with a series of poor shot selection and mounting anxiety, which saw the last seven wickets fall for seven runs and a staggering 15-run defeat.

Sunday - National Club Champsionship - KICC 1st XI 234-9 beat Denby 150 all out by 84 runs

In Sunday’s re-arranged National Club Championship fixture, Kimberley welcomed Denby to Newdigate Street and recorded quite a comfortable victory by 84 runs.

Captain Sam Ogrizovic (77) led the way with the bat and spinners Akhil Patel (3-17) and Paul Riley (3-15) did the damage with the ball as they moved into the second round.