Kimberley Institute 1sts lose in cup quarter final

Kimberley Institute 1sts were knocked out of the Derbyshire Premier Cup at the quarter final stage on Sunday by their hosts Marehay.

In a low scoring game, Marehay batted first after they were put in by Kimberley Institute.

In tough conditions for batting, Marehay were made to work hard for their runs and eventually managed to reach 127-9 from their 50 overs.

Kimberley were able to make a number of early breakthroughs and at one stage the home side found themselves at 40-4.

The crucial stand for Marehay was the one for the sixth wicket beneath James Kyte and Gaz Buckley.

Kyte was the top scorer with 30 while Gaz Buckley contributed 26 not out.

Buckley was also assisted by Dean Mills with 13 late runs as they gave Marehay a modest total, but at least it was something to bowl at.

For Kimberley Institute, all of the bowlers recorded, at the very least, respectable figures, and some turned in very good performances.

Alex King was the most successful in terms of wicketss, taking 3-40 from his ten overs.

George Bacon took 2-24 and Ben Savage 2-20.

Dominic Wheatley and Dominic Brown also chipped in with a wicket apiece and Chris Glover bowled ten tight overs, conceding a miserly 14 runs during his spell.

Setting out in pursuit of the 128 runs they needed to make it into the Derbyshire Premier Cup semi-finals, they lost their first wicket with just nine on the board when Dominic Brown departed for six.

Also making six was Tom Rowe, whose departure made the score 17-2.

After those early blips, the main partnership of the innings was put together by Sam Ogrizovic and Sam Johnson.

They added 53 precious runs before Ogrizovic was out for 22.

There then followed a clatter of wickets, starting with Alexander Aldred for a duck and continuing with Johnson going for 24, and Dominic Wheatley for a duck.

In next to no time, Kimberley had gone from 70-2 to 75-6.

With 53 needed from their lower order in bowler friendly conditions, it was going to be tough for Kimberley.

George Bacon was able to hang in there to make 14 not out but wickets fell at regular intervals and when last man Chris Glover was dismissed for three, Kimberley were all out for 114 in 47.4 overs, losing by 13 runs.

For Marehay, Dean Mills, Ben Gartside and James Kyte took two wickets each to help bowl their side to victory.

On Saturday, in common with so many games from across the area, rain had the final say in Kimberley’s game against Rolls-Royce Leisure in the Notts Premier League.

Kimberley won the toss and bowled first. By the time the rain caused the match to be abandoned, they had bowled 20 overs and Rolls-Royce Leisure had reached 65-3.

There were two wickets for George Bacon and one for Ben Savage.

Kimberley 2nds’ game against Eastwood Town was cancelled due to the rain.