Langley Mill are held to a draw at drizzly Denby

Langley Mill United had to be content with a losing draw as they made the short trip to Denby on a cold and drizzly Saturday afternoon.

Rich Davey won the toss and after some serious thought asked Denby to take the first knock.

Jack Scott and Jeff Wharton (1-23) opened up and after ten overs Denby where 20 for 1 with Wharton taking the wicket of Steven Payne, caught by Andrew Bailey.

Spinners Davey (2-43) and Andrew Bailey (5-46) where introduced into the attack and Davey struck first by taking the wicket of Ross Perry-Taylor, caught by Paul Bailey to leave Denby on 45 for 2 off 20 overs.

Rob Peat became Davey’s second victim, caught well in the deep by David Farnsworth, and at 83 -3 off 32 the Millers were hoping for a 150 maximum target.

Denby tried to push for further runs and this is when Bailey struck, first taking the wicket of Mark Payne, caught by Alex Bacon, and then Liam Glenn being well stumped by Craig Parker for 20 to leave Denby 101 for 5 off 37.

Skipper Simon Mann scored some important late runs but teammates fell around him with Bailey striking again to remove Johnathon Simms’ leg stump for six and then having Fraser Kirk caught by Scott in the deep for 15.

Bailey then took his fifth wicket, Phil Glen for a duck after being caught by Rich Krupiak as Denby made 142 for 8 0ff their 46 overs.

Langley Mill knew patience would be the key as the Bailey brothers opened up together but Paul was soon back in the shed after hitting one straight to Kirk off Cresswell’s bowling.

Andrew soon followed after being bowled by Kirk for 7.

Sajendra Thimal became Kirk’s next wicket leaving Langley Mill in trouble at 25 for 3.

Bacon became Simms’ first wicket and at 44-4 Wharton joined Holmes and these two batted well and looked to be taking the Millers to victory until Wharton holed out to long on.

A score of 85 for 4 soon became 93 for 8 and the Millers were on the brink after losing Holmes for a patient 30 to become Kirk’s third wicket, Farnsworth without scoring and Scott for five falling to Ian Burgoyne.

This left Parker and Krupiak to salvage a draw after the middle order collapse, finishing on 114 for 8.