Langley Mill II dominant before rain ends victory hopes

Langley Mill batsman Aaron Tullett
Langley Mill batsman Aaron Tullett

Langley Mill II put in an improved performance to claw some more points back in their battle to escape the relegation trapdoor.

On a bleak Saturday afternoon with the rain imminent the Millers managed to get started on time, with Langley Mill being asked to bat first after losing the toss.

Skipper Nick Wright led from the front with Neil Wing and these pair started steadily, wanting to avoid a repeat of last week’s massive collapse.

After 10 overs they had reached 31 without loss.

Chesterfield tried changing the bowling around to prize a wicket, but with no success.

The Millers continued to build until a mix-up between the batsmen culminated in Wright being run out for 34 to leave The Millers on 97/1 after 23 overs. Aaron Tullett teamed up with Neil Wing and the pair rushed the score along to 150 to leave Langley Mill hoping for a huge total.

But as the Millers carried on pushing they started to lose wickets.

Aaron Tullett became Josh Fox’s first victim, bowled for 11. Neil Wing was then caught behind by Johnny Bushell for 88, his knock included 12 fours and two sixes in a positive top order stance.

Josh Lacey (17) and James Harrison (22) added some momentum to the stuttering Millers and, as the rain came in, the Millers stood at 220/7 off 42 overs. A decision to take an early tea was made to keep the game alive.

After tea the Millers declared their innings in the hope of picking some valuable bowling points up.

For Chesterfield Josh Fox was the pick of the bowlers with 4 for 67 from his seven overs. Luke Baddeley picked up the other two wickets.

The game eventually restarted with Chesterfield batting and the Millers opening up with Rohit Patel and Steven Walker.

It was Patel who struck an early blow having Aaron Jepson caught by Alex Bacon for 12 to leave Chesterfield 21/1.

Rohit Ratel then picked his second wicket up bowling the other opener Luke Baddeley for 15.

As the heavens started to open an abandonment looked imminent, but not before Alex Bacon was introduced to the attack and picked a wicket up himself, removing the dangerous Callum Hiron for 24.

At this point the rain got too much and the Millers came off, within the next 30 minutes the game was abandoned.

A valuable 12 points picked up for the improved Millers who will be hoping to take this form into next week’s game at Alfreton.

Next Sunday sees the millers return to T20 action at Marehay where they will play either Marehay or Heanor at 4pm in the Bayley Cup.