Rain denies Kimberley chance of a victory

Atif Sheikh took 3-80 for Kimberley.
Atif Sheikh took 3-80 for Kimberley.
Share this article

Kimberley Institute endured a frustrating day at Clifton where, in rather farcical circumstances, the match was abandoned with Kimberley in the ascendency at 178-6 chasing 224 for victory.

Kimberley asked the hosts to bat first and had immediate reward in the first over when Atif Sheikh (3-80) spooked Jarrod Coombe with a short ball that he edged behind to Sam Ogrizovic.

But Caleb Mierkalns (45) and Scott McNeill (37) added 94 inside 12 overs with extras (32) lending a helping hand; but, as is becoming habit, Kimberley hauled themselves back into the game with three quick wickets.

Mierkalns was first to fall trapped lbw by Glover (2-24) and then Sheikh struck twice as he too trapped Martin Weightman and McNeill lbw to leave the score at 109-4 in the 17th over.

Richard Harris (22) built a 31-run stand with Dominic Harvey (12) before both fell to Dominic Wheatley (2-38) with Bharat Popli and Alex King taking good catches to leave the score at 150-6 after 26.

Another useful stand of 27 followed between Charl Malan (23) and Tim le Breton (6) to take the score to 177, but they both fell to King (3-55) within two overs of each other via catches from Dominic Brown and Jon Terry .

David Lucas (20) and Alastair Walters (19) frustrated Kimberley with a 34 run stand for the 9th wicket (the 2nd highest of the innings) before King had Lucas caught behind with the score on 212, before Walters slipped and twisted his knee and in the process hit his wicket to leave Clifton all out for 223.

Kimberley had 52 overs to reach their target and Paldip Sidhu (7) and Terry (40) got them off to a steady start moving the score to 36 before Sidhu offered keeper Mierkalns catching practice via the bowling of Lucas.

Popli (16) and Terry moved the score onto 60 with little trouble before Kimberley lost four wickets for 29 runs inside seven overs; Popli caught at slip, Sam Johnson to a duck and Terry bowled to end his good innings.

Brown (8) was then out lbw to Malan (1-18) and Kimberley were reeling at 89-5 after 24 overs.

James Mann (30) came to the fore though and alongside captain Ogrizovic (38*) played defiantly to add 57 runs to take the score to 146-5, but then the rain came.

After a 28 minute break play resumed with Kimberley needing 78 from 16 overs to win, they suffered an immediate set-back when Mann was adjudged caught behind down the leg-side via le Breton (1-13) – much to the batsman’s disbelief.

Ogrizovic and the incoming Wheatley (17*) upped the ante and scored 33 runs in six overs to re-ignite the chase; but then, just as the game was getting interesting and swinging towards Kimberley, Weightman slipped over in his follow-through and as he slowly picked his spikes clean the umpires got together and decided to end the game – although it took a while before this was confirmed with both teams, the supporters and the scorers in limbo.

The 2nd XI also had a disappointing day as they lost at home to Collingham by three wickets.

Kimberley made 207-9, Alex Aldred (36) and Ben Savage (51) adding 99 for the second wicket and then Danny Williams (14) and Elliot Bowles (18), having moved the score to 153-3, fell in quick time as Kimberley slipped to 167-8.

A late cameo from Charlie Walters (15*), helped by Ben Crouch (14*), got Kimberley past the 200 mark with Oliver Dyson taking up four wickets.

An early wicket from Liam Webb (3-61) gave Kimberley hope, but a stand of 48 runs between Dyson (33) and Jeff Kirkham (15) moved Collingham to 60-1 before a wicket apiece for Walters (1-28) and Alex Beale (1-30) made it 64-3.

But a 122-run fourth wicket stand between David Pipes (56) and Will Cousins (56) gradually moved Collingham towards the required target, and despite a late stutter they crossed the line in the 46th over.

The 3rd XI suffered a shock defeat at home West Bridgford Legion as they collapsed to 123 all out chasing 158 for victory.

The visitors batted first and had Andy Keane (58) to thank for helping them post 157; Sukhdeep Sidhu span through the batting with figures of 4-37 and Sam Beale picked up 3-25.

Sidhu (22) found himself the top scorer in Kimberley’s reply as their batting fell to pieces with Rob Rhodes and Callum Daniels taking three wickets each as the innings was done and dusted in the 42nd over.

The only win of the weekend came at Thurgarton where the 4th XI beat the Division M leaders by the narrow margin of just two runs.

With the game reduced to 36 overs apiece Kimberley were asked to bat first and skipper Luke Tantum (40) and Luke Barlow (19) got them off to good start before Delroy Miller (2-33) removed them both.

Alex Terry (23) and Josh Fraser (19) moved Kimberley past the hundred-mark before Murray Williams (5-31) worked his way through the middle order and Kimberley could only post 145-8 when the innings closed.

Thurgarton’s openers Anthony Barrowcliffe (42) and Clifton Williams (27) added 60 for the first wicket before Barlow (3-28) removed the latter, but then Barrowcliffe and James Morrow (38) moved the score to 91-1 before they lost two quick wickets 98-3.

Morrow stuck around long enough to help the score progress further, but wickets from Terry, Mozley (3-34) and Barlow (3-28) saw Thurgarton fall just two runs short of their target and earn Kimberley a thrilling victory.