Eastwood put four past Southwell City

Dave Worger netted for Eastwood.
Dave Worger netted for Eastwood.

Eastwood CFC maintained their unbeaten run with a fine 4-0 success over Southwell City on Saturday.

It was City’s first game of the season but they could well have lost by more as Paul MacFarlan’s men put them to the sword.

Eastwood tore into the game and could, indeed should, have been five goals up inside the first 15 minutes.

The Minstermen had Mike Oxborrow to thank, plus some very poor Eastwood finishing, for keeping them in the game at this point.

The home keeper distinguished himself early on with an excellent save from Dave Worger’s shot, and this was followed by Matt Brian heading over an open goal.

In attempting to make up for this miss, Brian forced Oxborrow into two superb goal line blocks from shots in the next attack, followed by Jake Danby blasting the ball wastefully over the bar with only Oxborrow to beat.

Oxborrow then saved a mishit Warren Hatfield shot following a cross from Worger.

Southwell’s first attempt at goal was an ambitious one from skipper Chris Bowles before Eastwood hit back again with another spell of pressure.

Warren Hatfield’s attempted overhead kick saw the ball fly over the bar and a Jack Havron free-kick was safely held by Oxborrow. Tim Adcock put Hatfield through but after drawing the goalkeeper he clipped the ball over the bar.

Things might have got a bit sticky for Eastwood had Danny Garratt’s lob, which caught Wayne Smith off his line, gone in instead of just beating the bar.

Oxborrow again saved at point blank range from Brian but was finally beaten in the 43rd minute when he couldn’t hold a strong shot from Worger and Brian followed up to drill the loose ball home.

Within moments of the re-start Worger had scooped the ball over the bar with only Oxborrow to beat and Adcock shot wide following a throw in.

But Southwell were already looking a different side in the second half. Their passing was crisp and good to watch, but in front of goal they had nothing to trouble Smith.

At the other end Oxborrow was still distinguishing himself with a full stretch tip round the post from Danby’s fierce shot.

The visitors deservedly increased their lead on 65 minutes when Worger brilliantly volleyed home a right wing cross from the edge of the penalty area which gave Oxborrow no chance.

Hatfield then chipped another good chance over the bar before Southwell hit back and Smith smartly saved a well-hit Daniel Gleeson free-kick.

Hatfield slipped past two challenges before stroking home Eastwood’s third on 72 minutes, and11 minutes later Worger’s speedy break down the right saw him pass the ball inside for substitute Kione Gordon to rifle home the visitors fourth.

Eastwood host Harrowby United in the FA Vase on Saturday.