Extra-time needed for cup progress

Share this article

Notts Senior League

Senior Cup

Kimberley MW 2

Attenborough 1

Kimberley moved into the next round of the cup after a difficult game that needed extra-time against Attenborough.

The first-half was a fought out in midfield with little goalmouth action, the highlights being a Martin Lench free-kick which Josh Stevenson headed wide and a free-kick from Attenborough which Matt Walsh saved diving into the corner, and the visitors shooting wide from close range.

Kimberley started the second-half well and Stevenson, Shaw Hutchinson and Leon Roberts all going close.

Both sides traded opportunites but with just two minutes left Kimberley thought they’d won the game when Roberts fired home from close range, but right on full-time, Attenborough levelled the scores and despite Welfare hitting a post before the whistle, extra-time was required.

No goals were added in the first period of extra-time, but after Roberts had gone close for Welfare the winner came when Jake Fisher fired home following a goalmouth scramble with two minutes left.

A late red card for Attenborough followed and Welfare progressed.

This weekend the first team are away to the same team, Attenborough, in the league with a 2pm kick-off.

Kimberley MW B 0

Vernon Villa 1

Kimberley faced Vernon Villa at Digby Street looking to bounce back from the previous week’s disappointing defeat.

The game, however, didn’t start well and as Kimberley struggled to deal with the slippery conditions, Vernon went 1-0 up from a trademark set piece.

It would be unfair however to say Kimberley deserved to be behind, and from that moment on they threw everything at Vernon.

Chances were aplenty and Wayne Smith and Mark Jordan both had efforts blocked within seconds of each other.

The second-half carried on in the same vein however Vernon were holding firm.

Now parked in the Vernon half, Max Wright and Chris Coleman both missed chances, the latter forcing the best save of the game out of the opposition keeper.

The game finally ended as a second defeat for Kimberley and they will look to get their title challenge back on track on Saturday away at Rushcliffe Dynamo.

Kimberley MW 5 FC Peacock 0

Kimberley’s Sunday team progressed in the league cup with a 5-0 victory against FC Peacock.

Kimberley were once again wasteful infront of goal and their tally of five should have been more.

Their leading scorer Dec Smith did the damage with four goals and header from Jake Wood saw Welfare through to the last 16.