Eastwood CFC edge game to stay top

A SUPERB win for Ripley Town.
A SUPERB win for Ripley Town.

Eastwood CFC stayed top of the table after they squeezed past Collingham thanks to Shaun Roberts’ winner.

Eastwood went into this game as strong favourites and, having been involved in some high scoring matches, the feeling around the ground was that there was a drubbing in the offing.

An almost full strength home side looked to re-enforce that idea right from the start when Olly Buxton rose to meet a cross with his head and gave the Collingham keeper his first test of the match.

Eastwood’s unbeaten status make them a big scalp in the CMFL Division South and Collingham had come to challenge that record.

They had a free-kick in a dangerous position, but it was hit straight at keeper Andy Fretwell.

Soon after Eastwood were handed a free-kick in a similar position that Dave Worger lifted over the bar.

The game became very stale in the following 20 minutes, but the visitors almost kicked it into gear with the best chance of the first half.

They caught out the Eastwood defence to create a one-on-one opportunity that culminated with the ball flying out the park.

The second half started with a bang as Eastwood tried to find their groove again as top-scorer Matt Brian hit a weak shot that the keeper scooped up.

The following 10 minutes were full of action from both sides, but the finishing was poor throughout.

Daniel Guild was causing the Collingham defence all sorts of problems and he took on three players before putting his shot wide.

Warren Hatfield thought that he had finally made the breakthrough when Elliott Pitt put him through behind Collingham’s backline so he could put the ball away, only for the referee to call play back for an offside decision.

A goal eventually came in the 75th minute when two Eastwood substitutes combined as Ryan Williams charged down the left wing and whipped in a quality cross that Collingham failed to deal with. Shaun Roberts lurked in the area and slotted the ball away.

Despite the opener, the game didn’t get much better, but the visitors had the best of the final 15 with some late pressure.

Eastwood had Andy Fretwell to thank for keeping the lead when he got across quickly to save a good header from a corner.

Collingham didn’t let up and almost provided a twist in the tale when they hit the crossbar in the 90th minute, but it wasn’t to be and they succumbed to their seventh loss of the season.

Eastwood drew 3-3 with Clay Cross on Friday night, with the goals coming from Dave Worger, Lee Bull and Elliot Pitt.

Eastwood are next in action in the Notts Senior Cup at home to Beeston, Saturday 3rd Oct, 3pm kick-off.