Kimberley MW score nine in crushing victory

Sandhurst 1

Kimberley MW 9

An understrength Kimberley showed their title ambitions by hitting Sandhurst for nine goals at Forest Lane.

With several key players missing, Kimberley turned to their impressive EMPAL Sunday side to call up brothers Liam and Dec Smith.

In a rare foray forward, the first chance of the game fell to the hosts.

However, it was their only notable effort of the half as Welfare took full control of proceedings.

Leading scorer Jake Fisher fired the Miners in front before a Matt Barrett effort was deflected into the net for an own goal.

Fisher soon made it 3-0 and from this point on it was always a case of not if Welfare would win but by how many.

Welfare soon made it four goals as the ever reliable Fisher scored.

On the stroke of half time on his first team debut, Declan Smith fired Kimberley’s fifth to complete a dream first half for the Miners.

The second half of the game called Walsh into action for only the second time as he picked the ball from the net as Sandhurst’s efforts paid off.

Kimberley MW bounced back immediately as Fisher scored his fourth goal of the game and Welfare’s sixth.

The game died out for a period before a spectacular effort from Liam Baker from 45 yards out left the home team keeper just watching as it landed in the net to make the score 7-1 to the visitors.

Mark Austin then scored a superb volley from 25 yards out before a Shaw Hutchinson penalty made it nine for the second-placed Welfare, who reduced the gap on leaders Hucknall Rolls to just a point, with that all important game in hand.

Next up for Kimberley MW is a trip to take on Keyworth, with the game having a 2pm kick off .

Kimberley MW B 7

Aspley Park Res 1

After heartache in the League Cup two weeks previously, Kimberley MW B turned their attentions to the County Cup in which they were losing finalists last season.

An impressive performance at Digby Street showed that once again, they may be fighting for silverware this season.

As has been customary this season, the opening 20 minutes of the game provided little in the way of action and it was a quick counter attack that gave Kimberley the opening goal of the game, the first of what would turn out to be seven strikes on goal.

William Green won the ball impressively in the Kimberley box before playing it forward to Max Wright, who eventually found Chris Coleman cutting in from the right and providing the finish.

This put Kimberley in full control and the Miners were two goals up shortly after when John Michalski nodded home his first of the season as he successfully got on the end of a corner.

Max Wright then ran the full length of the pitch and squared for Danny Walsh to score the third for Kimberley before another Walsh finish made it four at half-time.

After a very impressive 45 minutes, it was something of a shock when Aspley converted a penalty immediately after the break.

It turned out to be nothing more than a consolation effort however as Chris Coleman restored the four-goal cushion for Kimberley, closing down the Aspley keeper and forcing the mistake that allowed them to add to the tally.

The half was coming to a close and to the delight of the Kimberley side there was still time for Danny Walsh to complete his hat-trick before John Whitehurst capped a fine performance with a well deserved goal.

Kimberley now anxiously await the draw for the next round of the competition to find out who their quarter final opponents will be as they look progress further in the cup.