Moore stars as Selston cling on for vital victory

Graham St Prims v Selston, Carl Moore
Graham St Prims v Selston, Carl Moore

Selston got back on the winning trail with a 4-3 victory over Radford on Tuesday night in an end-to-end encounter.

Carl Moore was the Parishioners’ star man with a timely hat-trick - his third coming in the second half proving the decider - as they moved into second in the East Midlands Counties League Premier.

The game as a whole was what could only be described as a thriller with five goals in the first half and a further two in the second making it a great specatacle for everyone but perhaps the managers.

Radford went into the match on the back of three straight wins and were hoping to pin more pain on Selston who had just lost their first in 10 league outings.

Selston looked like they meant business from the off with Carl Moore terrorising the home side’s defence but on six minutes Radford found the breakthrough from Ryan Smith’s header.

The away side responded and almost got level immediately but Kane Hempshall’s header went wide of the target. Selston did restore parity after 15 minutes when Kenan Layton nicked the ball on the halfway line and drove into the box. His turn inside and attempted cross deflected off Courtney Bartley and the inside of the post and dropped kindly for Carl Moore to sweep home from 10 yards.

Selston took the lead on 22 minutes through the rather fortuitous Lee Sutton who saw his penalty saved and rebound into his path to slot in after Tom Widdowson was initially upended in the box.

Radford were back on terms three minutes later when a deep ball into the box caused problems and when the ball feel kindly for Smith he was alert to tap in for 2-2. Substitute Jamie Shacklock, 18, who had replaced the injured Shaun Farnsworth, was instumental in the visitors re-taking the lead, skipping away from defenders and pulling back for Carl Moore to get his second of the night.

Directly from the second half start, Radford went on the attack and forced a corner, the ball when swung in wasn’t dealt with convincingly again and Gino Kelliher headed home from 12 yards to tie up the game again.

On 53 minutes, Sutton was fouled 30 yards from goal. This time the home side failed to deal with a ball in the box and after scrambling for the ball Carl Moore completed his hat trick and won the tie for his side.

Selston continued to frighten the hosts with their pace and trickery out wide and the home side continued to pressurise the Parishioners with high balls, but for a free kick skimming the outside of the post and one last goal mouth scramble for Radford, there was no more danger and Selston hung on for the win.