Nailers go out of the league cup

Doodson League Cup – First Round

Ossett Town 3

Belper Town 1

Belper Town were eliminated from the Doodson League Cup in the first round after a 3-1 defeat at Ingfield on Tuesday evening.

Manager Peter Duffield put out a strong line-up and included new signing Rory Coleman at left back while Greg Wright was named as a substitute.

With a potential rematch with Matlock Town in the offing if the Nailers could get past Ossett and next round opponents Carlton Town, there was everything to play for but they found the home side in excellent form.

The game started with Aaron Chapman making a fine diving save to deny a second minute shot from Shane Kelsey, although the Ossett custodian made an even better stop when he got to a Darryl Thomas shot that looked a goal all the way.

Thomas was denied again moments later when he hit a close range volley straight at Matt Convey, and the Nailers capped their best spell of the game with a goal when Karl Colley powered his way to meet a Simon Harrison corner to head firmly past Convey in the 14th minute.

James Eyles missed a great chance to equalise soon after the restart and somehow missed the target with on Chapman to beat, although Shaun Tuton had a good chance to extend Belper’s lead two minutes later but ended up with an impossibly tight angle.

The Nailers conceded a poor equaliser on 29 minutes when Shane Kelsey had all the time in the world to nod a cross just inside the post, and then the same player might have added to his total after getting past Shaun Roulston only to shoot wide of the post.

Colin Marrison met a pinpoint Simon Harrison cross in the 38th minute and forced Matt Convey into a fine save, but the Nailers were struggling with the pace of Ossett’s counter attacking and just before half-time, Aaron Chapman conceded a penalty kick when he brought down Shane Kelsey.

To his credit, Chapman pulled off a brilliant save from Kelsey’s spot-kick and recovered quickly enough to block the Ossett striker’s follow-up effort.

The second half proved to be a testing one for the Nailers as Ossett always seemed to be half a yard ahead in pace and thought, and only their wayward finishing prevented the home side winning the tie in normal time.

When the Nailers did find themselves in an attacking position, they were unable to capitalise on situations and their finishing wasn’t clinical enough.

Simon Harrison ended a good move in the 51st minute with a tame shot at the ‘keeper and Steve Warne struck a rising shot that the ‘keeper grasped just under the bar.

In between times, Ossett’s Keir Hannitty nearly beat Chapman with a clever lob and in the 74th minute the Belper ‘keeper denied the same player with a smart save at the foot of the post.

Ossett’s quick breaks were causing Belper problems but somehow the Nailers managed to keep them at bay until the end of 90 minutes, however they were caught out five minutes into extra time when James Eyles used the time and space afforded to him to tuck the ball away just inside the near post.

Shaun Tuton should have equalised when he had Belper’s best chance for a long time two minutes later but volleyed over the top, however Liam Radford missed an even better chance to kill the tie in the 104th minute but somehow contrived to put the ball wide.

Shane Kelsey had the final say in the 107th minute when he was quick to jump on a defensive mistake and finished smartly with a rising shot into the net, to propel Ossett Town into the next round.

Ossett Town: Convey, Hudson (Radford 80), Fisher, Patterson, Cotterill, Milne, Hannitty, Darley (Sharry 44), Eyles, Kelsey, Whitehouse (Moke 70). Unused subs: Walsh, Catton.

Belper Town: Chapman, Pride, Coleman, Marrison (Stirrup 70), Roulston, Colley, Harrison, Warne, Froggatt (Ward 75), Tuton, Thomas (Rushbury 96). Unused subs: Wright, Godber.

Referee: Mark Foster (Leeds)

Att: 63