Quickfire double sends Eastwood to defeat

IN CONTROL: Eastwood's TJ Nightingale (centre) takes possession against Hednesford (NEAA 21-08-12 BE 11)
IN CONTROL: Eastwood's TJ Nightingale (centre) takes possession against Hednesford (NEAA 21-08-12 BE 11)

Eastwood fell to their second 2-0 defeat in the space of three days on Tuesday night as Hednesford Town scored two quick second-half goals to take three points.

The Badgers were left to rue several missed chances as they drew a blank once again in front of only 195 fans at Coronation Park.

The first of those openings came just seven minutes in, when after the visitors failed to clear their lines, former Carlton Town man Anthony Griffith Jnr headed against the crossbar - the third time in two games the frame of the goal had been struck by the Badgers.

Hednesford edged into the game as thehalf wore on and had the ball in the net five minutes before the break, Neil Harvey heading home from ten yards out but then seeing his effort ruled out for offside.

Ian Deakin had to be alert to turn a skidding effort by Aaron Rey behind for a corner just before half-time, but it took just three minutes of the second-half for Hednesford to take the lead and there was an element of fortune about the goal.

A free-kick was swung into the penalty area where Ian Deakin managed to get a fist on the ball to clear, but it fell to James Osbourne whose looped ball back into the danger zone ended up in the corner of the net.

The second goal arrived eight minutes later. Full-back John Disney got to the byline and when his ball into the penalty area was only half cleared, it fell to Elliott Durrell and he fired home via the inside of both posts to put his side two up.

Eastwood’s decision making in the final third was costing them dear, as despite plenty of possession they were unable to create anything more than just half chances as they attempted to get back in the match.

Hednesford nearly made it three on 79 minutes when Sean O’Connor nodded down to sub Michael Lennon but he slipped at the crucial moment and Deakin gathered his shot with ease.

That was as close as either side would get to scoring the game’s third goal, as Hednesford ultimately held on to take all three points.

Eastwood: 1 Ian Deakin 2 Fabian Smith (Alex Troke 82) 3 Paul Riley 4 Danny Elliott 5 Romaine Graham 6 Deon Meikle 7 Jermaine Hollis 8 Mitch Hanson (Curtis Shaw 76) 9 TJ Nightingale 10 Anthony Griffith Jnr 49 11 Paolo Piliero (Gregg Simmons 82). Subs not used: Josh Raven, Sam Andrew 
Hednesford: 1 Dan Crane 2 John Disney 3 Darren Campion 4 Sam Barnes 5 Francino Francis 6 Dave McPherson 7 James Osbourne 8 Elliott Durrell 9 Neil Harvey (Michael Lennon 78) 10 Aaron Rey (Shaun O’Connor 78) 11 Nathan Woolfe (Phil Clarke 86). Subs not used: Ben Bailey, Alex Melbourne. 
Scorers: Osbourne 48, Durrell 56

Att: 195

Ref: Thomas Bramall