REPORT: Awsworth 3 Underwood 2

ALFRETON QTS Sunday League round-up.
ALFRETON QTS Sunday League round-up.

Awsworth Villa welcomed local rivals Underwood Villa to a very wet and heavy Shilo ground with Awsworth sitting sixth and Underwood 13th in the Nott’s Senior League Premier Division.

Awsworth started the game with a number of first chose players missing.

Awsworth got into their strides very quickly and within second of the kick off Shaw Hutchinson played the ball out to the right touch line to Matt Goodwin who played the ball across Underwood six yard box where Danny Walsh had a shot at the near post forcing the Underwood keeper into early action making a safe at his near post.

With Underwood struggling to gain possession of the ball Josh Niblett who played the ball out left to Matt Withe who passed inside to Danny Walsh who was taken down in the box for a Awsworth penalty with only 2 minutes on the clock.

Walsh got up and put the penalty away comfortably to make the score 1 . 0 to Awsworth.

From the restart Underwood once again lost the ball in midfield and Shaw Hutchinson played the ball to his right back Lee Stevenson who played the ball into the right channel to Danny Walsh who ran one on one with the Underwood centre back and seemed to have over powered him rounded the keeper and put the ball in the back of the net.

The referee awarded the goal only to be pulled back by the lines man who awarded a Underwood free-kick.

The game went back and forth for the rest of the first half with Underwood getting stronger but neither team forcing a save from the opponents goal keeper leaving the scores at Awsworth 1 . 0 Underwood at half time.

The second half started much as the first half finished.

Lamah Griggs was slowly becoming into the game in attack for Underwood but it was the Underwood goal keeper who was the busier of the two keepers.

Robbie Tonra replaced Josh Niblett in the Awsworth midfield and Ben Greenhalgh replaced Ben Watson upfront.

It was this partnership that produced the Awsworth second with Grennhalgh finishing the move from close range.

Very soon after going 2 goals up a long ball played out of the Awsworth defence by Joe Staley gave Greenhaigh a chase with the Underwood keeper rushing in the opposite direction.

Greenhalgh reached the ball before the keeper and then pushed the ball under the on rushing keeper to make the score 3 . 0 to Awsworth.

Underwood to their credit did not let their heads drop and were rewarded with a penalty which was dispatched by Lamah Griggs.

With only minutes left on the clock with Awsworth sitting back Underwood once again went on the attack and were once again awarded another penalty with what looked to be a foul outside the 18 yard box.

Griggs managed to put the kick away under the body of a very unhappy Matt Walsh in the Awsworth goal.