Second-half penalty is enough for Tigers

editorial image
Share this article

Eastwood Town 0 Worksop Town 1

A second-half penalty from Ash Burbeary was enough for Worksop Town to beat rock bottom Eastwood 1-0 on Saturday in what was a poor game.

Both teams struggled on a bobbly pitch, but a vital three points maintained Worksop’s play-off push, with the Badgers remaining well adrift at the foot of the Evo-Stik Premier Division table.

And the win for Worksop also gained them some revenge given the Badgers had beaten them 3-2 on their own patch when under the guidance of John Ramshaw earlier this season.

Worksop dominated early on but were unable to create any clear cut chances on a poor surface.

It was the hosts that came closest to a goal on 15 minutes when a speculative effort from Paolo Piliero went just wide.

Worksop’s first chance fell to Leon Mettam who flashed a shot across the face of goal after good interchange play between Craig King and Ryan Clarke.

Minutes later Tigers should have taken the lead when the Eastwood goalkeeper, Richard Stainsby, fumbled under pressure from Mettam, but when the loose ball fell to Tom Denton he blazed his shot over the bar from eight yards out with the goal at his mercy.

Just before the half-hour mark Eastwood player-manager and former Tiger, Chris Shaw, nearly caught his former club unawares with a volley from 45 yards that had visiting goalkeeper PaulBastock scrambling to palm away to safety.

Worksop continued to control most of the play without really looking like scoring; the closest they came was a 30-yard effort from Denton that was comfortably saved by Stainsby.

With the half coming to a close Eastwood had an excellent chance to take the lead when a quick throw set up Piliero whose cross-cum-shot was cleared off the line by Kern Miller, the rebound headed over.

The second-half continued where the first left off with much of the play very scrappy, the only chance of note falling to the Badgers when Kallum Keane, making his second debut for the club having signed in the days leading up to the game, dragged his shot wide of the post.

On 58 minutes Worksop finally took the lead when Shaw fouled Mettam from behind and despite protestations from the Badgers boss a penalty was awareded, Burbeary coolly slotting home the spot kick.

As Worksop looked to make the game safe their skipper Steve Towers had two efforts in the space of a minute, firstly shooting straight at Stainsby from the edge of the penalty area, then firing wide of the target from 25 yards out.

With a quarter of an hour to go Worksop boss Simon Clark brought on Matt Young in place of Mettam as Worksop changed to a 4-5-1 set up.

Young was immediately in the action in a rare cohesive passage of play as Miller’s crossfield pass found Craig King and his cross was headed back by Denton to Young who shot weakly straight at Stainsby.

In injury-time Eastwood had an excellent chance to snatch an equaliser as Gregg Smith rose above Miller but could only head over the bar, and the visitors’ three points were safe.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Eastwood: 1 Richard Stainsby 2 Danny Roberts 3 Chris Shaw 4 Mitch Hanson (c) (Josh Raven 70) 5 Romaine Graham 6 Kallum Keane 7 Paolo Piliero 8 Scott Rogers 9 Gregg Smith 10 Bradley Munn 11 Adam Campbell (Vijay Selvam 65).

Subs not used: Wayne Diuk, Preston Robinson, Petter Aaser

Worksop: 1 Paul Bastock 2 Ryan Clarke 3 Phil Roe 4 Cecil Nyoni 5 Kern Miller 6 Martin Ball 7 Craig King 8 Steve Towers (c) 9 Tom Denton 10 Leon Mettam (Matt Young 76) 11 Ash Burbeary (Lee Potts 85).

Subs not used: Brad Kilburn, Ash Jackson

Scorer: Burbeary 58pen

Att: 209