Semi-final successes for Kimberley MW sides

Kimberley Miners Welfare’s first team stay top of the Notts Senior League Senior Division, even though their game at Hucknall Rolls-Royce Leisure was abandoned at half-time.

Hucknall’s floodlights went off at half-time and would not come on again for the second half.

The half played was completely dominated by Kimberley and there were 12 attempts on goal to Hucknall’s two, but to no avail.

This Saturday, Bilborough Town are the visitors on Saturday with a 2pm kick off at The Stag.

Moorgreen Reserves 2

Kimberley MW B 5

Kimberley travelled to Moorgreen Reserves looking to secure a place in the County Cup Semi Final for the second consecutive season.

Captain Liam Hutchinson and top scorer Danny Walsh returned to the starting line-up as Kimberley fielded a strong side.

The difference in class was obvious after the first five minutes and Kimberley’s early domination paid off with Chris Coleman firing home from close range.

Five minutes later, Kimberley were two up as a fantastic move involving five different players allowed Max Wright to square for Wayne Smith a.

A defensive lapse by Kimberley’s experienced back line allowed Moorgreen to pull one back.

However the game’s turning point came on 25 minutes. Clean through on goal, Danny Walsh was pulled back giving the referee not option but to award a penalty and red card. Max Wright sent the goalkeeper the wrong way and at 3-1 in front, Kimberley were cruising.

Moorgreen made it 3-2 just before half-time with a penalty of their own.

The second half seemed a rather drab affair and the game was settled on the hour mark when Danny Walsh got his first goal of the game.

Kimberley were dominating and a second of the game for Walsh, five minutes from time, gave Kimberley the sort of margin their play deserved.

The Vale 1

Kimberley MW 7

Kimberley Miners Welfare’s Sunday side cruised through to the semi-final of the Notts County Cup.

In a frustrating opening 20 minutes, Kimberley were unable to find the opening goal. However, their hard work and superb football paid off as Josh Stephens fired Welfare in front and from this point on only one team were going to win the game. Greg Wedge and Dec Smith both netted before the break.

Vale came out stronger and got themselves a goal as a free header from a corner left Rocco with no chance. This sparked Kimberley into the game and a goal apiece from Wedge and Smith put the game out of sight.

Wedge and Smith both completed their hat tricks as Kimberley now await the semi final draw.

Kimberley celebrated a hat-trick of semi finals as the club’s Under 15s won 4-0 to progress to play Mansfield Town or Trowell. The club is still in a further six quarter finals as well this season.