Terriers bite back in Badgers clash

Jason Bradley strokes home Eastwood's goal.
Jason Bradley strokes home Eastwood's goal.

HUDDERSFIELD Town came from behind to earn a 2-1 victory at Coronation Park on Thursday night in an entertaining pre-season encounter.

Eastwood were first to show in the fourth minute when a ball through the middle found Lee Morris whose volley struck a post, Jason Bradley unable to turn in the rebound.

Former Republic of Ireland striker Alan Lee then blasted high and wide for the visitors, who had named a very strong line-up, and Scott Arfield curled a shot over the top minutes later.

Danny Cadamarteri was next to go close but his weak shot was wide of Ian Deakin’s post, before Arfield again tried his luck, this time going a little closer to giving Huddersfield the lead but seeing his effort go just wide.

Liam Ridehalgh then got down the left and put a fine cross into the middle which Lee did well to volley with power but his strike was well held by Deakin.

Cadamarteri was next to go close as he headed Joey Gudjonsson’s corner just over the top - the visitors continuing to have the lion’s share of both possession and chances.

But despite that it was Eastwood who were to take the lead on 27 minutes. The ball arrived at the feet of Bradley in the penalty area and he turned inside Greg Pearson and stroked a low shot past Nick Colgan in the Huddersfield goal.

Arfield was in the action again on the half-hour, playing a neat one-two to break into the box but having got around Deakin he could only find the side netting from a narrow angle.

And the visitors had another opening on 35 when Robbie Simpson’s drive was parried by Deakin and Gudjonsson’s follow up was just over the top.

Cadamarteri then fired at Deakin, while at the other end a good move ended with Steve Istead putting a half volley just wide from the edge of the box right on the stroke of half-time.

Lee had the ball in the net early in the second-half for Huddersfield but was deemed to have handled whilst gaining control and the referee disallowed the goal.

Nathan Clarke then poked just wide after Cadamarteri had flicked on a corner, and Lee again went close with a header that looped onto the crossbar just after the hour mark, before another header flashed wide from close range.

But Huddersfield did finally get their goal on 67 minutes, when Cadamarteri’s cross saw sub Matt Crooks challenge with Deakin in the air and the ball found its way into the net.

And after a flurry of substitutions had slowed the tempo somewhat, Huddersfield took the lead with ten minutes to go when Lee ran on to a through ball and finished well past Deakin.

Morris then broke into the box late on and drilled a low shot in which Colgan pushed away at his near post, as Eastwood finished the game strongly but couldn’t quite find the equalising goal.


Eastwood: Ian Deakin, Alex Troke, Sam Benjamin, Aaron Mitchell, Kevin Sandwith (Paul Riley 46), Craig Armstrong, Steve Istead (Daniel Elliott 76), Jake Sheridan, Lee Morris, Jason Bradley (Jarrod Westcarr 78), Jervais Christie (Danny Poole 70)

Subs not used: James Cullingworth, Gavin Caines

Huddersfield: Nick Colgan, Jack Hunt (Israel Johnson 62), Nathan Clarke, Greg Pearson, Liam Ridehalgh, Joey Gudjonsson (Max Leonard 80), Damien Johnson (Aidan Chippendale 46), Scott Arfield (Matt Crooks 62), Robbie Simpson, Alan Lee (Kris Thackray 81), Danny Cadamarteri (Jordan Sinnott 75)

Subs not used: Kris Thackray, Simon Thomas, Dominic Dickinson, Dave Melling, Adam Field