Kimberley hit by two heavy defeats

Josh Stevenson netted against Gedling on Saturday but it was a bad day at the office for the hosts.
Josh Stevenson netted against Gedling on Saturday but it was a bad day at the office for the hosts.

Kimberley MW suffered two 4-1 defeats in a row as their first season in the EMCL heads towards its climax.

On Saturday they were beaten by Gedling MW at the Stag Ground.

It was the visitors who took an early lead on the second minute as a free-kick on the edge of the box was curled in by Mitchell Slawson.

Welfare replied with fine efforts from Henry Sibenge and Josh Stevenson’s header which went close, but the lead was doubled a minute before the break when a mix-up in the Welfare defence allowed Anthony Brown to slot home in what was mainly a poor first-half for Kimberley.

A more determined Kimberley outfit came out for the second half and it showed as first Elliot King hit the Gedling bar and Rod Maveso had to clear a goal bound shot from Jermaine Gordon off the line.

But Jack Hopper then increased the lead as he raced onto a Slawson pass and beat Harry Daykin at his far post.

Various chances for both sides came and went before home skipper Stevenson tapped in on 84 from a right wing cross to reduce the arrears.

Hopper then completed the scoring with a fine shot four minutes before the end after smart build up play involving Brown and Tony Law.

On Tuesday night Kimberley then fell to another 4-1 defeat, this time at the hands of high flying Ellistown & Ibstock United.

Ellistown took the lead midway through the first-half through Ben Harris but the young Welfare side kept battling and were rewarded just before the hour mark when Henry Sibenge equalised.

Having had a penalty shout denied in favour of a free-kick on the very edge of the box, Kimberley ran out of steam late on and were punished by a ruthless Ellistown who scored three more goals to earn them a flattering win.

Anstey Nomads will visit the Stag Ground on Saturday for the final game of the season.